What kind of prescription drugs are you on?

I refuse to take them, much to my counselors chagrin. I have ptsd and depression but I would rather deal with it than be on drugs, I think they have such an adverse effect on the body and most of them give me migraines, which I'm inclined to get anyway. I know drugs work for a lot of people, I'm just wondering what is everyone taking, how does it help and what kind of adverse effects do you experience as a result? I cry a lot, I'd rather not wake up most mornings, and I'm tired of feeling this way, so I may end up caving at some point...idk...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Health

• I'm on a blood thinner for blood clots in my lungs, and a low dose antidepressant.
    Anonymous

• My sister was diagnosed with depression. My dad refused to let her take the pills. Shes fine now. I wont take prescription drugs. I look up natural ways to heal myself. Have you look at the natural alternatives?
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Right now all I'm on is Prometrium, 100 mg to help me maintain my pregnancy. The adverse effects I get are nausea (though that could be the pregnancy and not the meds lol).

I think that psychiatric drugs are a huge boon to a lot of people. Do we overprescribe? Absolutely. But it sounds like you have a serious case of depression and would benefit significantly from the drugs. If you don't like one medication there is usually an alternative. And they are all very safe. I wouldn't say everyone should be on them, because they DO cause problems for some, but if you need them, then you need them. Your children need a happy mother in order to be happy :)

Good luck, sweetie, I hope you feel better.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:19 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• OP here..I don't know of any natural alternatives other than walking...St Johns wort made my eyes too sensitive to the sun and kava kava put me to sleep.
    Anonymous

• well now that im preggo.. NOTHING.. but before i took Immitrex for migrains as needed.
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I was diagnosed with depression and then migrain headaches,but hell who wouln't be depressed if you had to live with constant headache everyday and wait for it to get worse?

Pprescribed Zoloft, after taking 2 pills I started to cry because I was taking them. In turn I started writing/drawing and doubled my complex carb intake. Resulting in NO MORE DEPRESSION.

Migrains, again prescribed pills up to take every 4 hours that didn't help after a week, so I started searching for causes of migrains and came up with something that just about cures every common ailment from the headaches to PMS to craps, insomnia you name it, it causes it. The culpret for all that is M.S.G. Monosodium Glutamate. I removed all the products that contain it as an additive and don't feed it to anyone in my family. The only down fall to this was I was eating so much of it that I had bad withdrwals for almost 2 weeks. I have been Migrain free 4+yrs.
    mine01369

Answer by mine01369 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Ambien CR for sleep and Fioricet as needed for headaches.
    Anonymous

• I can't tolerate anti-depressants so I try natural helps, no herbals: sunlight, exercise, plenty of water & a good healthy diet. Cut out some carbs, get enough sleep and get a good dose of laughter daily. Keeping a diary helps get the thoughts out of my mind. Cry as you need to, but FORCE yourself to keep moving and don't dwell on your feelings.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 4:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Ive alwqays suffered from depression. Anti depressants make it worse. Recently, I started getting panic attacks and general anxiety. My doc put me on anxiety pill. They are working well.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 11:20 PM on Jan. 6, 2010