Have you ever disliked a friend's child?

my friends step is awfully spoiled and has a mouth on her like she's trying to be hip (she's only 7 but tries to be like 20 something or whatever), but my daughter likes her and wants to invite her to her birthday. The problem is how do I tell my friend no?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• I dont know how to tell her no, but I know the feeling, Ive been around very few kids that i didnt like, but its happened, and it always makes me feel bad about it...Good luck
    moonshineRayn

Answer by moonshineRayn at 1:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• If your daughter likes her then that should be enough to let her be friends with your friends SD. I don't like some things about our kids friends but they seem to like them. You just remind your DD to be herself and not be like her friend.
    Anonymous

• i dislike my sisters kids. they are brats..i didnt want them at my wedding but they just "had" to come. I even told them i didnt want them there. I dont care to be a bitch...i'm sure your friend knows her kids are a-holes...i think my sister loves getting out just so she can throw her kids off on other people..your friend may be the same way
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• my bff asked me to watch her kids one time...her son drives me insane hes a royal pain..i just plain told her i would keep her lil girl but he had to stay somewhere else..she sorta knows we butt heads..hes 7 but believe me i cant hardly stand to be around him..just be honest and let her know..the worst is she will get mad and ignore you for a lil while but if shes a true friend she will come back round
    Anonymous

• yeah...my sister's kids are really bratty...well one of them is, you get her going and hurt her feelings, she's goes on and on for an HOUR or so! so lots of screaming, and that high pitched scream is horrible! and her little boy isnt so bad but he doesnt PLAY, he just knows how to destroy things! yesterday i had some cookies on the table and he dumped all of them on the floor! peed me off...i know he's young but he wont pick up a toy and play!!

oh...and maybe just say as little as you can to your daughter like "well lets just invite her to something else instead"
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• There is only 1 kid that I really don't like, and the sad truth is that I feel sorry for her. She's my half sister's neice, her parents are divorced, her mother is a convicted child molester. Her father and his girlfriend are both drunks. Her father's girlfriend beat her up bad enough to get arrested for it. She lives with her Grandma who is also a drunk. I'm pretty sure the reason she's such a nasty, self-centered, rude and obnoxious child is because of the way she's been raised.
    Countless people have turned them into child protection services, including myself and my half sister.

I used to go out of my way to try to help her. I've bought her clothes. I've fed her. I used to rescue her when I knew there was drunken parties going on at her house.

Anonymous

YOU SOUND FULL OF SHIT
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 1:49 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• cont.
    My reward for trying to help her was having her constantly abuse my home, my animals, and my children. The final straw was when I caught her picking on my 6 year old DD, calling her fatso and a bunch of other stuff, and she was 10. My DD is chubby and the name calling broke her heart. I talked to he more about it and found out that the little B was also trying to stick her hand down my DD's pants.

Again, I'm sure it's because of the way that they're raising her. I do feel sorry for her. She doesn't even have any friends at school, most likely because she's mean.

Anyhow, I told all of them straight out that I didn't want her around. I don't associate with her family anyhow (except for my sister), so it's no big deal.
    Anonymous

• YOU SOUND FULL OF SHIT

What's that all about? Why?
    Anonymous

• I don't think you have to tell your friend anything. Just tell your daughter that this child is not someone whom you deem suitable to be her friend, and since she is so young and lacks knowledge about the choosing of friends, it is your responsibility to help her with that. If necessary, don't even have a birthday party. Just make it a special day with the family. Go somewhere special or do something special. We seldom had birthday parties for our children. They were more family celebrations and they still are to this day. So you have the opportunity to not only make a memory and set a new example as a parent, you can also set in motion a new tradition that can last well in to her adulthood. One of the hardest parts of parenting is in the area of culling out friends who wield a bad influence, but it is our job and it must be done. You can do this! Just be creative in coming up with a stunning alternative plan.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2010