MALE or FEMALE OBGYN

sooo my insurance finnally came through so I can finnally go to the doc. by my calculations I am 9 1/2 weeks. So I am looking through my options for doctors through my insurance and there are just as many women than men. Is it weird that I feel like choosing a male doctor, the doctor I had for my son was male....am I being sexist or is it normal? To me it is more normal for a man to be looking at me down there than a woman, either way it will be uncomfortable, I don't like anyone looking at me but my husband....anyway one more question, did you have a male or female doc and how comfy did they make you feel?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I've had both, and liked both... I really don't care about whether they're male or female, as long as they know what they're doing. I suppose it's on a case by case basis for me. I've had female doctors who totally rubbed me the wrong way, and male doctors I just didn't get along with. And personally, I don't give a hoot who "sees me down there", it's not like you're on a date!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:59 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• When I was prego I had a male doctor once when my doctor couldnt come in. I feel more comfortable with a female doctor. Its like if one of your chick friends see you naked, its not a big deal we all got the same stuff. Guy doctors make me feel dirty lol? Maybe Im the weird one.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• i had both because i had to move when i was about 6 months along. I had a female in the beginning and a male in the end. I hated the male. He thought it was a great idea to treat everything like a damn joke. I have a medical problem that causes me to pass out and it got worse during my pregnancy and he didnt do anything to help it. But that was just my experience. Sounds like your first one was a good one. Try to get the same doctor if you can.
    Anonymous

• For GYN stuff, I don't care if it's a male or female doctor. For childbirth and delivery, I much prefer a female with children of her own. I just would rather have my care at that point in my life with someone who has been through that herself.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:28 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I always choose a female.. i just feel more comfortable that way. My gyno now is a women and i love her! she is great!
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 1:28 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• woman... always have
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My ob/gyn is female. I think it's weird to have a male doc as your ob/gyn. Seems perverted in a way.
    Anonymous

• to anon 1:28 I live in another state now so there is no way I can have the same doctor.....:(
    -OP
    Anonymous

• I have had both. For childbirth, I like a midwife. I have never seen a male midwife, so I guess to answer your question female. Good Luck with your baby.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:32 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• mines a male and i like him alot more then any of the female ones i've had he doesnt talk to me while he's down there doesnt joke around like the females have he just does what he has to do and then talks to me i like it much better that way
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 1:32 PM on Jan. 6, 2010