birthing classes?

i am pregnant with my second child and i didnt do the birthing classes the first time and did fine but now i am thinking about doing them with my husband but not sure about it. do the birthing classes really help or should i just go with it like i did last time?

shannonsmom555

Asked by shannonsmom555 at 1:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I haven't taken any birthing classes and just had my second in October. If you're confident in your coping skills and knowledge of the birthing process, it's probably not necessary. Might be fun to take one just to help your husband along though. :-)
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 1:31 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• It depends on what you would like from your birth experience.
    Are there things you would like to be different?
    Do you feel satisfied with how things were before?

I have my preferences and suggestions: to be educated, informed, and confident, avoiding all unnecessary interventions for the sake of myself and my baby. So I do what I can for that, including classes, books, videos, birth support team and location. It's that important to me! ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:59 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I'm really glad I took them. I learned alot. I think you can always learn new things no matter how much of a pro you think you are. I would highly recommend them. You could always try one and see if you liked it. I enjoyed the Breastfeeding class and the baby basics.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I dont agree with birthing classes. Women have been giving birth for hundreds of years and I believe that thier bodies just know what to do. Yes, sometimes there are complications but other than that for the normal birth, I would listen to my body (this is my 3rd and I've never been to a single class). You do what is right for you to do at the time, and under all that stress who is gonna remember what the class was about anyway...Good luck and congrats.
    spcjones_83

Answer by spcjones_83 at 5:32 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• lol, hundreds, thousands, MILLIONS of years, even! And no doctors, hospitals, or birth classes for them, of course! ;-)
    Above poster is correct, sure, ITA!
    But the environment for childbirth is MUCH different now than ever before.
    Mostly focusing on the awful modern maternity care women get in places like the US, it can be incredibly helpful to have a foundation of confidence and strength to counter what she is likely to encounter in the hospital. (Why is she going there again, lol?!)
    Like I'd said above, it depends on what a woman wants. If this women is hoping to avoid unnecessary interventions and goes to a hospital with a 64% cesarean rate, she *might* like to be armed with knowledge, kwim?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:54 AM on Jan. 7, 2010