How do I get my son to enjoy tummy time?

He falls asleep now everytime I put him on his stomach. He also screams everytime.

hmf122

Asked by hmf122 at 2:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that's what my ds does. i let him go for about 20 minutes. i stay with him to make sure he doesn't need aything and then i love on him real good afterwards. the frustration is what forces them to work and prepare their legs and back muscles for sitting up, crawling and later walking
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 2:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• You don't. Most babies don't like it. He might like it more if he gets to lay on your chest and look at you while he has tummy time. Just do the best you can..put him on his tummy a few times a day...if he screams, don't make him stay there.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My daughter really hated tummy time the first several months so I didn't press the issue. She would lay on my chest sometimes but even that wouldn't last too long. She finally came around when she was able to focus better on little toys, like mirrors and things that were shiny or would crinkle or make other noises for her. Just keep trying, a little bit at a time, and even if you only get a few minutes a day it will increase as your baby gets older and more active. Unless your baby is having developmental delays or the head is getting mishapen I don't think you need to worry too much about not enough tummy time. Or maybe try a baby carrier (like the Baby Bjorn where mom and baby are chest to chest) to at least give baby a different position and perspective on the world and exercise different muscles.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• HOW OLD IS HE AND ALSO THE MORE YOU DO IT THE BETTER HE WILL DO IT USE TOYS THAT LIGHT UP OR MAKE NOISE CHANGE them often its normal
    momma051209

Answer by momma051209 at 7:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• He is three months will be four months Jan 23, 2009.
    hmf122

Answer by hmf122 at 9:52 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• My son screamed bloody murder on tummy time until he was 3 and a half months and realized he could roll over and i havent been able to keep him off the tummy since! He calmed a bit when i layed on my tummy and played with him!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:09 PM on Jan. 7, 2010