Baptism is IMMERSION, NOT SPRINKLING!

What do you say and why?
Jesus was immersed, it says so in the bible. Why would you believe that SPRINKLING is baptism?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• For what it's worth, adults are immersed, and babies are sprinkled in the Catholic faith, which is all I can speak for. I was baptised in the Catholic faith as an adult, and I was immersed. I would not want my baby to be immersed.
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• "Original sin" and your own personal sin are two different things. There is NOTHING In the bible about sprinkling babies. Though they have original sin, they do not have personal sin. If they died, they wouldn't go to hell. Baptism in a personal choice, not one a parent can make for a child. Baptism doesn't = going to heaven. It is an outward expression of an inward belief.
    Anonymous

• In my church we dedicate babies and immerse them when they are older.
    Yes baptism is immersion
    Jesus laid hands on the children and blessed them :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I am methodist, when we are babtized we are immersed, but you can't do it until you are 12. Before that you can be sprinkiled but it is called a dedication, babies are dedicated, and when you become a member of the church you can also be dedicated.
    Anonymous

• Dedication is different than a "sprinking". No one should be able to say when you can be baptized. Being "confirmed" means nothing. Why couldn't someone be baptized before they were 12? I was!!! and it was BAPTISM, NOT "dedication". I agree Shaneagle777
    Anonymous

• Catholics can be baptized by immersion if they want - even infants (my neice was baptized by immersion). But usually Catholics are baptized by pouring - we don't do "sprinking" anymore, but if there is a problem or s shortage of water it can be done.

The Greek word baptizo found in the NT can mean "to immerse." But sometimes it means to wash up (like Luke 11:38) or ritual washing (like Mark 7:3-4a). There is also "baptized with the Holy Spirit." (Acts 1:4รขโ‚ฌโ€œ5). Did this mean they would be "immersed" in the Spirit? No: three times Acts 2 states that the Holy Spirit was poured out on them when Pentecost came (2:17, 18, 33,). These passages nd others demonstrate that the meaning of baptizo is broad enough to include "pouring."
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• So the quantity of water used is vastly more important than the spiritual leader / spiritual intent of the person undertaking it.
    Gotcha.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 2:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• any form is okay, sprinkling, pouring or Immerson.

Philip baptized the Ethiopian eunuch in a desert (Acts 8:36). If there had been a river nearby, it would not have been a desert. It must have been a small oasis with a spring.

Paul's baptism in Acts 9:18 seems to indicate that he stood up and was baptized on the spot. If so, he could not have been immersed since he was inside a house. Apparently, Cornelius was baptized indoors

(Acts 10:48). The Philippian Jailer was baptized indoors at night (Acts 16:33).

Found these biblical references at this website.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Immersion is a baptism for an adult. For an infant, it's called drowning, which is frowned upon. Which is why infants are sprinkled.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 2:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I believe we should follow the example of Jesus-- full immersion representing the death, burial, and resurrection.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 2:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2010