Is something wrong?

My Son is about 20 months old and he really isn't talking. He says Mama and Dada hi and maybe two or three other words but that's it. Should he be talking more by now or not? My mother is always telling me that she is concerned my son isn't talking that much. I read to him everyday and I talk to him I tell him what he is pointing at. So if it's not normal for him to not be talking what should do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't be concerned yet. He's not even 2. He is talking some you said, and he understands what you are saying to him. Alot of kids, especially boys don't even talk alot until close to 3.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 2:19 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• At 18 months kids should be saying between 10 and 20 words (roughly). That would put your child a bit behind. Just remember that any sounds he uses consistently to mean someting, even if it doesn't sound like a "real" word, counts as a word at this age. (Thus, "wa" used to mean water would count.) If you're concerned, talk to your doctor and/or call your state's Early Intervention program (may be called something different but your doctor's office should know). My son said nothing at 18 months and started speech therapy shortly after that. It's a wonderful program and a year later he's talking up a storm. Your child may very well do just fine without help but it never hurts to look into it.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• If he's your first child then it's not that odd. First children, particularly boys tend to be later talkers. Keep encouraging him to talk & reading to him lots. If in about 4 months you haven't noticed an increase in his vocabulary then you should check in with his pedi. They may suggest a speech therapist. Don't worry too much about it yet. Kids develop at their own speed, the numbers the lady above gave you are right, but they are generalizations to give a rough idea. They are not hard lines that your child must fall within to be "normal".

curlycupcake

Answer by curlycupcake at 2:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2010