I'm breast feeding- why did I get my period so early?

I got it 2-3 weeks after delivery and it's been pretty steady since.

Hali_Taylor

Asked by Hali_Taylor at 2:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I did too- breastfeeding does not mean that you won't have a monthly cycle, though a lot of women do not. yay for them *not sarcasm and jealousy* most women report delayed menstruation while EBF, if you are pumping that will also bring your period back sooner.
    you have to love the workings of hormones- for most women the decrease in milk production is also a hormonal trigger to resume menstruation, for some of us that is simply not the case and it never ceases. i will say though, that my highly irregular periods became almost like clock work after my ds was born! that was a bonus.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Even a slight drop in milk demand can cause your period to start back up again...as soon as I started solids, my cycle started again.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• i started at 4 weeks and it continued perfectly from then on.I was so upset, i thought I would be getting a break, but no way, I didn't supplement at all, and let him feed on demand..the joys of being a women.
    coffeemom86

Answer by coffeemom86 at 2:59 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My period always starts 6 weeks post partum and is very regular even though I BF. My first baby nursed every 45 minutes to hour and a half and I still got my period. Every woman is different. It's an old wives tale that you don't get a period and aren't fertile while nursing. I've gotten pregnant twice while nursing.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• When I had my son, I only breast fed...no bottles of water, no pumping...didn't start solids til he was about 5 mos. I ended up weaning him to a bottle about 10 mos old, because of some meds a dentist put me on....didn't know enough then to know I didn't have to wean him. Still irks me to be honest, even though ds is almost 25. lol

I didn't start my period until one month after he turned one, the worst part? I still had the pms...just no flow. I also have pmdd...so my cycle is like a two week visit from hell.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Every woman is differentt and after each pregnancy a woman's body changes. With my firrst I got a period when my son was 7 months b/c I went back to work when he was 6 months and then like 3 more times while I was nursing until he was 14.5 months. This time I went back to work when my son was 2 months, he's now 5.5 months and still no AF. I am very happy about that.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 3:32 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• You should still be bleeding if you're that close out. I bled for 3 days after I delivered, then nothing, and then a flood worth of an ark from 2-8 weeks. Then nothing for months. It wasn't a period. Could that be it?
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 6, 2010