Social security question

My parents are elderly and both my sister and i are paying my Dad's life insurance policy. The policy now went up in price. We may have to cancel it. He gets social security. My question is, if he passes on, does his wife (my mom) receive any benefits from Social Security?

WifeyandMom71

Asked by WifeyandMom71 at 2:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• ^^ that is different...that's survivor's benefits that are set up to help the cost of care for minor children. My ex co-worker's daughters both received survivor's benefits when her husband died. She got nothing.

I would call social security and see how it works. My grandmother received a pension and a check from Teamsters, in addition to her um...I think it's called like Blind Person's Pension or something similar to that. I know a lot of the reason my grandmother received money was because she was blind.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• there is a one time death benefit, meant to help cover bural costs, but it's only like $250, that won't even come close to covering it.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 2:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I believe she would received partial of his SS. My sister died and her young daughter received her SS Disablity check.
    momof2wneeds

Answer by momof2wneeds at 2:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Yes, she will. She will get the one time death benefit (it's $255) . She should also get his benefits. My grandma got my grandpa's after he passed away.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2010