Baby VapoRub

Just a quick question, I bought my son baby vaporub and have been using it. When my boyfriend found out he flipped out on me. He said someone he works with said that their dr. said not to use it on a child until 2 yrs old. But the box says 3 months n up...whats your take on this?!

misssababe1128

Asked by misssababe1128 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its just vaseline and menthol,nothing harmfull in there
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I tihnk it's ok. I use a humidifier in my son's room and it has a vapor formular you can put in it to help them breath easier. Ask the doctor if you doubt.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• You shouldn't use Vicks Vapor Rub on a baby under 2...there was a huge to do about this in the news a few years ago. Apparently it can cause breathing issues, kills brain cells, etc. Baby Rub is fine...it is all natural fragrance and is not the same as Vicks for adults.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I use baby vicks on my kids (my middle has sensory issues and does not like adult vicks). If your bf is so concerned HE should call the pediatrician and ask them if baby vicks is ok to use on babies- and not just take 'some guy at work's word for it.
    Anonymous

• the straight Vicks your not suppose to but the baby one is fine. I used it on my son. Just make sure you clean it off before you go anywhere
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Maybe your bf did not understand that you were using BABY vicks and not regular vicks- and he got upset at the thought of using adult vicks on the baby. Baby Vicks is fine to use on babies/young children. If your bf has concerns about it then he should either call the company or the doctor and make sure it is ok.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My doctor just told me that I could use vicks vapor rub on my baby, she is 4 months. The container does say 3 months. The doctor also said that it might cause a skin irritation so I could always just put it on a bib instead of right on the baby. It also helps to put in on their feet if you don't want it so close to their face / mouth.
    I agree with a pp, tell your bf to call the pediatrician if he is really worried.
    Anonymous

• my doctor told me not to use it he said it just makes them more congested and told me to just use a humidifyer
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 2:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I always used it on my DD after the age of 6 months. I heard an old wives tale that you put it on their feet with sox on and they wont cough all night. So I never put it on her chest . But this worked great for us . Also we always had her humidifyer on.
    sarbreen28

Answer by sarbreen28 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I USE IT ON MY SON AND ITS THAT YOU DONT USE TOO MUCH AND TO BE HONEST IT WORKED FOR HIM AND HE DOES GREAT IF YOU SEE CHANGES STOP ASK YOUR PEDI USE YOUR MOMMY B RAIN AS OTHERS TOLD ME ITS YOUR BABY AND IF YOU FEEL IT RIGHT GO FOR IT
    momma051209

Answer by momma051209 at 7:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2010