how can i learn the multiplying numbers

i have a big problem i never could learn how to multiply 6*8 or anything i only know the 1,2,5,and 10 how can i learn the other ones
plz help i feel stupid it just dont want to go on my head and i have to go for my ged pretty soon

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in

• Times tables are all about memorizing. Get some flash cards or make yourself some charts. There are books at the library and some sites online that can help with the easy remember games.
    Tot3

Answer by Tot3 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Math.com its a great program to help you learn mathmatics. i use it all the time for my son
    drivnkids

Answer by drivnkids at 7:57 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• You just have to memorize them. I had a hard time learning them in school (my memory sucked even then, lol). It was a sub we had in 5th grade that made me learn them. Every morning she made us take out a sheet of paper and then she would write a list of numbers on the board (0-12) in a random order and we had to write our multiplication tables from 0-12 in that order (like the 3s then 9s then the 6s, etc). It was timed and I HATED it. I was always the last one done if I finished at all and I was supposed to be one of the smart kids in the class (straight As and all that). It was so embarrassing. But we did it every morning and if the class misbehaved we did it again.
    The next year she subbed for us one day and we all knew what she would do. Sure enough 1st thing we did our tables. I was #3 finished, lol. She had subbed for us for 4 months the year before so I finally memorized them all.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:13 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Flash cards, math.com. Multipllication facts are something that just have to be memorized. Practice everyday, have your kids quiz you (if they are old enough). When in the car or at dinner, have someone give you the facts and you give the answers.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• practice....
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:12 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Get or make a multiplication chart and study it.
    Anonymous

• i thought of something the other day.... i should have said rather than just practice.. if you can add, you can multiply... the first number is the number of groups.... the second is the amount in the group... so 6x8 would be six groups of 8 - add 8 six times.... hope that helps! you can work out any problem by drawing it.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Watch and listen to School House Rocks! Multiplication Rocks. I'm sure you can find it on youtube. The song for 3's is very catchy and will help you with the threes.
    Since you know the 2's, just double those answers for 4. Then again for 8's. There's the hand trick for the 9's. 6's are just double the threes. 7's are mostly taken care of but there are a few that need clues.

I have more, having previously taught third grade for a number of years, when multiplication is focused on, but it won't fit here. PM me if you want me to tell you all the tricks I taught my students.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• School House Rocks! (yes, it does) Remember, these are from the 70's.

Two
    Three

Four
    Five

Six
    Seven
    Eight

Nine
    Eleven
    Twelve

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2010