my baby is 4 weeks old.. how much spit up is too much??also whats the best thing you can do if your newborn has a hoarse voice???

mellyhayes

Asked by mellyhayes at 2:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know how much is too much, but if it seems like a lot, you should probably call your Dr. ASAP. Could be acid reflux and the acid may be affecting his vocal chords, hence the hoarse voice. IDK, its worth asking you Dr. :-)
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My Dr. did a demo for me about spit up - she put 1 oz of water in a glas then poured it over a couple of paper towels. It looked like a lot more than one ounce!!

An ounce is about what newborns spit up - if it is a whole lot more than that takl to your Dr. your lil one may need a different kind of formula.

chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 3:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Having a hoarse voice in addition to spitting up a lot is a key sign of acid reflux, which can be caused by food allergies (especially dairy and/or soy). If you are breastfeeding, try eliminating dairy from your diet and see if that helps. It could also be that her valve that keeps food down is too weak and causes her to spit up. I'd talk to her dr about it.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:24 AM on Jan. 7, 2010