Does any other mom have a problem producing milk while their sick with a cold? I feel like my milk production has slowed

JaymieZ

Asked by JaymieZ at 3:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you're taking cold medicine, that is your problem. Antihistamines and decongestants will decrease your milk supply. Also, just as you always hear that you should drink plenty of fluids when you have a cold, it is that much more important to stay hydrated when you are both sick and nursing. Be sure to drink lots and lots of ice water.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• This is indeed normal and you will bounce back. Keep up your water.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Anything that dries up sinuses can dry up your milk so if you are taking something then stop. If you are not then make sure you are getting plenty of fluids to keep supply up. When my son was 3 months old I got a TERRIBLE flu and ear infection and my FIL asked if I should still be nursing and my wonderful husband said "of course dad that is the best thing for the kid because all the antibodies she is making are passing to him in the milk". So make sure to take care of yourself and eat and drink as much as possible and you and LO will be just fine.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• MOTHERS MILK IS GOOD AND I MIXED IT WITH MY CAMI TEA AND GOT BETTER AND PRODUCED MORE MILK
    momma051209

Answer by momma051209 at 7:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• yep def keep hydrated and it is normal.
    MummyOf2ooo

Answer by MummyOf2ooo at 2:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2010