Did you dialate quicker with your second pregnancy?

I was just wondering if you generally dialate quicker with a second pregnancy as opposed to your first?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Well, they wouldn't admit me because my labor "wasn't progressing" with my second (I was 3 cm dialated with contractions 2-3 minutes apart). Three hours later, they admitted me because I was dialated 4 cm. In the next hour, I went from 4 to 10 and had to wait at 10 cm for another three hours so they could get an antibiotic drip in me. So yes, I'd say it tends to go quicker with your second.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• i'm interested to see the answers, but i did just read yesterday that with your first, your cervix usually effaces before it starts dilating, and with your 2nd and subsequent pregnancies, your cervix will start to dilate a bit before it effaces. i thought that was interesting. :)

i only have one child so i can't really tell any personal experiences. i was like 1 cm or less dilated at my 40.5 weeks appt and then i had my son at 41 weeks.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Yes but no in some ways. My first part of labor was short with my second. but with both my girls at 5cm I stopped dilating for 6hrs. With my first 3hr later baby and with my second 1 hr 20min later baby. IIt was a 61/2 half hour difference between the two. First was the longest.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• It all depends. With my first they midwife didn't stat checking my until 39 weeks and I was 2cm. I went to 40 wks 5 days. with my 4th they started checking me at 32 weeks and I was 1 cm. I was at the hospital on a Tuesday and I was 4 cm and 80% effaced and sent home. On Friday early am I went back in and was 7 cm and 100% effaced. My son was born 18 min later. Every woman's body is different. My mom said each of her deliveries got worse. Mine get faster and easier. Both my mom and I have had 4 kids so I guess it just depends on your body.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 4:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I never had enough vaginal checks to be able to tell, never got checked during pregnancy and with my last i didnt get checked at all (not even during labor). My second labor was very very easy compared to my first but i think that was because the second baby was in an ideal position and the first one was posterior with a turned face.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 8:08 PM on Jan. 6, 2010