Activities for 3 year olds

With this cold winter weather, and my son just getting over pneumonia, I'm trying to think of indoor activities for us to enjoy. He gets bored pretty easily (he's 3 after all) and I do not want to turn the television on (he lives to watch the NickJr channel, and I don't think he should watch more than 1 or 2 shows a day). Any idea's of things to do to keep him busy (and spending time with me)

JoeysMom120906

Asked by JoeysMom120906 at 3:10 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Crafts are always a plus. I don't know if you have a Home Depot any where close by, but they do a craft the first Saturday of every month. Call and ask about it. We also do a lot of reading. Of course, if she gets real bored we let the dog up stairs where they can play together since it is too cold and snowy for either of them outside.
    Just be creative. Kids LOVE creativity. Mine LOVES to "help" with everything.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 3:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I know when my kids where that age, we would play with play dough, I have even made homemade play dough before. We also like to finger paint and color together. I would read books with them and sometimes we would play safari. I would hide their stuffed animals around the house and we would then go exploring.

One time we even painted the wall in the kitchen. I wanted to redo the kitchen so the kids and I painted a dinosaur seen on the way. This may be a little out there, although they had fun doing it and still talk about it. After we finished we took pictures and then my husband and I painted the kitchen over. (We had planned on doing that anyway)

Good Luck

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Cooking, coloring, you can make finger paints or bakeable clay.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• There are SO many things that can be done with a 3 year old! I think the list is endless!
    A few have been mentioned above, so please do not say, ‘Hey I said that!” I know you did.

Crafts- 1)Make a calendar, (you will be working on teaching numbers, months, days of the week, and what picture should go with that month.) , 2) make sock puppets (Once it is done you can do puppet shows, good social interaction and enhances the imagination), 3) macaroni pictures (you can dye the noodles for color.), 4) scrap booking (you can use baby pictures and tell him about when he was a baby), glitter work (use white glue on a darker construction paper then have him coat it with the glitters), 5) Dough handprints (Materials: 2 cups flour, 1 cup salt, 1 cup water; food coloring of choice, metallic marker; wax paper; ribbon to match color of dough.
    Mommie_Mommie

Answer by Mommie_Mommie at 10:08 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Directions: In a large bowl, add food coloring to water, then add the flour and salt. Mix well, until mixture is smooth. Dough should be stiff, in order for it to bake correctly. Shape dough into the form of a ball, and then roll out to a thickness of about 1/2 inch. Take child’s hand and press her spread out hand into the dough. Don’t press too hard, or you might press through to the bottom of the dough! Place on a cookie sheet. Next, make two small holes in the top of the dough, about 1/2 inches apart. This is where the colored ribbon will be strung through. Bake in a 200-degree oven for approximately 2-1/2 hours. When done, dough should be rather hard. Be careful not to over bake. Place on waxed paper to cool. When the dough is cooled, write the child’s name in metallic marker at the top and the year at the bottom.), 6) Yarn or string pictures (use white glue on construction paper and place the yarn or string on it.
    Mommie_Mommie

Answer by Mommie_Mommie at 10:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Work on his name with this one, then let him decorate around when dry.) Kool-Aid Play dough (it smells awesome! Easy to make too. Ingredients 2 ½ cups of flour, ½ cup of salt, 2 packages of unsweetened Kool-Aid, 2 cups boiling water, 3 tablespoons oil. Directions: Mix flour, salt, Kool-Aid, and oil until blended. Add boiling water; mix with spoon until cool enough to knead. Continue kneading until color is fully blended. Store in air tight bag or container in the refrigerator.
    Baking/cooking- It is time to pull out the recipe books, or go to the internet. Cookies are always fun to make. If your child is not fond of veggies you can look up “child approved” veggie recipes and ask him which one he would like to make. There is a higher chance he might like it if he picked it, and helped make it.
    Mommie_Mommie

• Have him help you with dinner. (Another craft make a food chart so he learns how many of each food group he should be having daily.) Fondant covered cakes are fun for kids! Mine love them. He is a link for the fondant recipe: http://candy.about.com/od/fondantcandyrecipes/r/mm_fondant.htm
    Chores – A busy child is a happy child. Have him dust things he is normally not allowed to touch. Kids love to be able to do that. It makes them feel very mature. Vacuuming is something a lot of kids like. Depending on the size of the vacuum and the size of your son he can vacuum his room. Washing windows or mirrors is something kids like to do. It is after all not something they do daily like we do. (You will have to get the streaks later, but the smile will be worth it!)
    Mommie_Mommie

• Using his blankets, build a tent either in the living room or his bedroom. When the tent is made, have a snack inside!
    Teach him songs; most kids enjoy singing, or playing instruments. Do not have any instruments? Sure you do… pots and pans and wooden spoons!
    Quiet reading time, nuff said!
    I think that is enough for now. If you need more say the word!
    Have fun!
    <3
    Mommie_Mommie

Answer by Mommie_Mommie at 10:10 PM on Jan. 6, 2010