11 month old hitting as a game

My 11 month old has started smacking faces as a game. I can grab his hand and he just laughs so I just move him away. He has no idea what "No" means, so does anyone have any ideas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• He is just young and doesn't understand it yet. Do NOT smack him, just gently move it away and say no-no (or no-hit) and keep going with your activity. Repetition will be the key here. It may take many many times, don't laugh and confuse him it's a game but don't scold him either. It will pass for sure, been there, done that!!! He just doesn't understand yet and don't expect him to yet.
    Anonymous

• I would say try ignoring the behavior, although with hitting that might be hard. Have you tried stopping him and saying something like "We do not hit" I know he might not understand totally.

Sorry could not be of more help, Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• right now i just move him away from my face and i usually say something like "don't do that" It takes him out of the trouble zone but I just dont think he's learning not to try to do it.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• i would smack his hand and let him know the feeling...show him that it hurts. That way when he hits you he will know he is hurting you when you say oww. Its really the only way he will know that he is hurting you..and you will probably only have to do it once, after that if he hits you just say "oww, that hurts mommy"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• just gently tell him, no no and do something else with him to distract his attention.
    Anonymous