When did you take the bottle away? How did you go about doing it?

My son will be 1 on the 14th. My DF and I have decided to try and take the bottle away. He's my first child, so I don't really know how to go about doing it.

He is on tablefood, and uses a sippy during the day. He still takes a bottle at nap time, bed time and when he wakes up in the middle of the night.(Yes, he still wakes up at night).

I've been told by some to gradually take it away, but then I've been told by others to just take it away cold turkey. Like an outta mind, outta sight kind of thing.

I could use some advice on how to go about doing this. Thanks

AMZF812

Asked by AMZF812 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• For me I did not take the bottle away when my children turned one. They only used it at nap time and bed time and I liked being able to sit with them and keep that bond.

When I did take it away I just took it. My children were a little older and could understand a little better, so I did not really have a problem. My sister took the bottle away when her children were one and she did it cold turkey. For her this worked as well.

I think that no matter what you choose you just have to stick with it. If you choose to only give the bottle at bed time, then that is it. If you choose not to give it then, again, that is it.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My daughter will be 10 month the 14th. Me and her daddy have decide to put her on a cup.
    officerdouglas

Answer by officerdouglas at 3:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I took my son's bottle at 7 1/2 months. He had been drinking from straw cups really well for a couple of months and was doing wonderful, so I took them all together. He did wonderful, he takes straw cups during the day and soft spout sippys at night( we use the munchkin might grips) I think it is better to take them before they get overly attached. My parents let me keep mine until I was 4 and I had horrible baby teeth(caps on all but 4) and have had lots of problems with my adult teeth and I didn't want my son to have these same problems. Some people told me it was too early. But my son;s doctor told me that as long as they get as much from the cups as they would the bottle than there is absolutely no need in having a bottle at all. I'm glad I've already taken his so we don't have to go through it later.
    Maybe you should try getting cups with your child's favorite character on them and telling them it is for big kids. cont..
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Also I think taking it cold turkey and removing all bottles from the home is the way to go, we donated my son's to a local baby center that helps needy parents. That way you can not give in even if you want to. What ever method you choose I wish you and your baby all the luck in the world.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I'd go for gradual. If he uses one already for some of his feedings then just switch them over to sippy one a time every few days. It should be fairly painless that way.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 3:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• We started around 10 months trying to get her used to drinking her formula/breastmilk (I worked so she got both) from a sippy cup. Even though she drank water out of any kind of sippy, we found that the only kind she would drink milk from was the kind with a straw (with a valve). For a long time she wouldn't drink a whole cup in a sitting, so we'd just keep one in the fridge with a little formula or breastmilk and pull it out periodically (changing it as necessary, of course). By 11 months, I think, we just stopped with the bottles altogether because she was drinking fine from a sippy. If you do it cold turkey at 12 months, it may work, though. Your son probably won't drink as much, but they're not supposed to drink as much whole milk as they did formula anyway. Be prepared to try different cups, that's my best advice. For us, it helped to have a certain kind of sippy for milk, another for water.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My first two children were pretty easy to take off the bottle. I have a 20 month old now and she takes sippie cups for naps and bed time, but I can't get her to completely give the bottle up. I have decided to tell her we are giving them to the babies who need them. She is a big girl now and she needs a big girl cup. I hope this works.
    Tot3

Answer by Tot3 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• 1 year and a half i put it off too long but just let them cry it out
    Kelly_Motherof2

Answer by Kelly_Motherof2 at 4:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I think my DD was about 12-14 months, she had been drinking from a cup for awhile but liked her bottles still. My MIL came to visit and told my DD that she needed her bottles to feed her new baby goat she had back home, so MIL bagged em up with the help of my DD and off they went LOL My Mom got my brother off the bottle by telling him Daddy needed them to shoot them out of the tanks (My Dad was in the Army) he gave up his bottles with no problem LOL
    DalesLgndLvsOn3

Answer by DalesLgndLvsOn3 at 4:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• i went cold turkey at 11 months. you should stop giving your child any kind of sippy or bottle when they sleep. that tends to be one of the reasons they wake up bc they want it, but if you take it away and in a couple of weeks they know they wont get it they will probably start sleeping through the night. my cousin made sure her son didn't use a pacifier but a sippy instead to sleep with and his teeth had to be pulled before he was four bc they were so bad. it's hard but in the end the couple of bad days/weeks you have it's all worth it.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2010