If you knew for a fact that your baby would not survive birth, would you abort?

What if you knew for a fact that you would not survive giving birth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If continuing the pregnancy meant either I or the baby would not survive, then yes I would abort and wouldn' hesitate about my decision.
    Anonymous

• I don't think I would. I'd probably carry to term on the slim chance that the baby may survive. There is a woman who lives in my state (CO) who has an anencephalic son. They usually die within the first few hours of birth. They just celebrated his first birthday. Yes, he's severely handicapped, but that doesn't mean he isn't a source of great joy for his friends & family.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 3:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Yes to both.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• as long as my life were not in danger i would not abort, You can never know anything 100% for sure so I would follow it to the end.

If my life were in danger then DH and i would have to talk very seriously, he almost lost me once in childbirth and he has very strong feelings about it not happening again. He almost said no to getting pregnant again because it was such a close call but after our 3rd baby he was ready to stop, that 2nd pregnancy really scared him.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• if you knew for a FACT that the child would not survive then it would be selfish to not abort
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• No, I wouldn't abort. Doctor's aren't always right, it's in God's hands what happens to your Child. If your not in any danger, then I would carry on with the Pregnancy as long as the baby still has a heartbeat.
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 3:55 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I would rather go through with it....it can either die without any chance or die in my arms/on it's way out. I would rather it died on it's own, not because I chose to end it's life. That is not selfish. Killing it to keep from going through it is.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• As long as continuing was not an imminent danger for myself I would carry to term. I have to say if there was a good chance I would die as well I would have to terminate the pregnancy for my living son's sake, he deserves a mother.

I have heard of a quite a few women who give birth to anencephalic or Trisomy babies even though the children seldom survive birth and if they do usually pass away within hours, but they are then left with months of memories when their child was with them and they know they gave it every chance they could instead of giving up on their child. I would also prefer being able to have a funeral and grave site for my child. I have miscarried and I think there is a lot of residual pain knowing that you are one of a very few who truly miss your child and have physical way to stay connected to the child like visiting/decorating a headstone, etc. But that is jut my opinion.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Kfroz I agree with you completely.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• i agree with everyone else...it would not be a fact that a child couldnt survive.."miracles" do happen. If the baby was not going to survive then it would miscarry
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2010