How old was your baby when you started taking him/her out?

Like to the stores and whatnot? my baby is a week and 2 days old. Im scared to take him out. Plus all the swine flu stuff! everyone is telling me he needs to be taken out to get used to stuff... but idk????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I took them all our reasonably early. I know I took my first to the mall when he was about two weeks old, and by the time he was three weeks old he was going on weekly outings to the hospital's breastfeeding support group if nowhere else! When I had my dd I was in a wedding when she was three weeks old and had her out dress shopping the mall with me at one week old (since I was ebf'ing it was very hard for me to get out for longer than an hour or so without her!) And with my youngest, my others were in school and play activities so she had to start going along to pick ups/drop offs from the start. I would just try not to have anyone touch him... I always found that wearing the baby in a sling made it less likely that strangers would reach out and grab them!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My first child stayed home with me for the first 8 weeks. With my second I waited 3 weeks. I would have preferred the same amount of time that my first got but circumstances dictated that it be that way. My doctor thought keeping them home as long as possible was great and said she wished more people did that. A baby has plenty of time to "build it's immune system" after it gets past being brand new.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 3:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• It was probably a month before I took my DS out...I was exhausted from BF, and we live out in the country -- it just seemed more like work than it was worth. With number two it was probably the same. I just ask people to not touch my baby when I did go out...( I found this was a bigger problem with other little kids wanting to see the baby.)
    AngelaKay

Answer by AngelaKay at 3:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I've always brought my babies out with me once I felt up to going out postpartum. With my younger kids, there were older kids coming home with a whole school's worth of germs everyday, so keeping them home wasn't going to keep them germfree in my case any way. I don't think going out in public is a big deal, but I do try and keep people out of their faces.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 4:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Around a month old.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 7:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• A week or ten days.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I took my son out when he was only a day or two old.
    offrdngal

Answer by offrdngal at 8:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I took my son into the grocery store on the way home from the hospital. I had to get a prescription and in my pharmacy if its a narcotic u have to get it yourself so i hadnt a choice. Swine flu wasnt noticed yet at that time :)
    Anonymous