The silent treatment: Childish or marriage saver?

My Husband does some really stupid stuff. He is very childish. Normally it doesnt bother me but sometimes its not timing appropriate. Or if something serious is happening he is trying to make jokes and messing around it bothers me. I have a horrible temper when I lose it which isnt often. But when he starts doing this I just want to fly off the edge. He is always trying to juggle or throw things around cause he thinks its "cool" I cant count the number of times he has done this and dropped it and broken what he was tossing about. or dropped it on my food or some part of my body.. Once he dropped a can of soup on my shoulder! Today he spilled a bottle of mylicon gas drops in my week old babys face and eyes. I was so pissed. When I get that mad I have to stop talking to him or I know I will say and do something bad. The only way to control myself is to just cut him off... So childish or marriage saver?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• OP Here.. I called poison control they said it should be fine as long as we wiped it out of his eyes good.. Which was the first thing I did... This was a few hours ago and he seems fine...
    Anonymous

• Sometimes it is just best for me to do the silent treatment, I can have a bad temper and it is best if I cool off before saying anything so I do not say things I should not!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 3:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Silence works. I used to go into rages and SO is one that shuts down and gets silent when angry or upset. I'm learning that his way works best. So I think it might be a marriage saver in your case but he needs to grow up or learn safety procedures!

Answer by admckenzie at 3:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Silence and walking to keep from saying something really unnecessary is FINE...and that's NOT the silent treatment.

The silent treatment is when you refuse to talk for a day or more. I had an ex who would do that fro three days running to me. That's the major reason he's an EX.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:02 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Sounds like a plan to me. It is better to cool off and discuss what is bothering you rationally than to open your mouth in anger.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 4:10 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• silent treatment might be childish in someone else's opinion, but I do it often. LOL.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 4:22 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• It is immature and is only a temporary solution. I would sit down and talk to him about it in a calm and mature way. I don't ever give my husband the silent treatment he doesn't do that to me either. We respect and love each other enough to talk. You both need to grow up and talk and make changes that allow your home to be healthy and happy. Your poor kid/kids suffer when mom and dad are being dumb asses.
    Anonymous

• The silent treatment works if you know you're going to burst on him just as you mentioned....so use that to calm yourself, focus on something else and then go back and address the situation when you are calm and ready to talk......
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• The silent treatment is normally called "passive aggressive." It helps when you feel the onslaught of an angry outburst to announce "OK, I'm gonna take a break, chill and when I calmly return, we will discuss this before the sun goes down." I refuse to allow the sun to go down on my anger for that allows the person to move into my head rent free and I don't have vacancies. Anger is a healthy emotion when channeled constructively rather than destructively.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 6:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• How old is both of you ?
    Men are TEENS, well into their 20's?
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2010