What is wrong with my lil guy??

My son is a day shy of 12wks (he'll be 3months on the 15th) & for the last few days has been having these horrible fussy fits! He'll scream & cry, turn bright red with tears streaming down his face, & nothing will soothe him (not even his normal bouncing or walking around the house). A few times he has become a little on the warm side (highest temp was 99.6 that we measured), but we kind of wrote that off on the fact he had been screaming for so long. He'll finally cry himself to sleep, but I hate seeing my lil guy so upset! Does anyone know what this could be?? Any way to soothe him other than walking around with him or bouncing him (the only things that used to work when he was fussy but they don't faze him at all now)?? We've also tried a warm bath, messaging him, his binky (he only sucks on it for a minute then spits it out screaming unless we keep a finger in it to chew on), car rides, we even bought a bouncer!

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Teething? My daughter got her first tooth at 4 months. Have you tried Tylenol? He sounds like he is in pain.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• sounds like teeth. I would get something for him to suck/chew on or the teething tablets. Or it could be gas. But with a temp it sounds like teething
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 3:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• He may be teething. Or just throwing a fit. I remember when my little man did that we just ignored him, and when he saw he lost our attention he quickly nipped it. but if he IS teething try giving him a washrag with one corner frozen to suck on or they have these awsome teething tabs at walmart. There are a ton of possiblities. Does he have a cold, b/c he could have body aches and a headach and just not feel well. Has he had a nap? did he sleep to late? get up to early? is it time for lunch or snack time? is he conspitated? he may also have a tummy ache or gas try some milicon. Normally what we do is if we don't notice extra drool or he hasn't been chewing on stuff a lot more then normal we rule out teething. If I just feed him and he freaks I try again b/c I may have stopped when he wasn't ready if that doesn't work we offer him a drink, if that doesn't work I give him milicon. If he is still freaking out I try to remember.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• He has been drooling a lot, but I thought that was just what babies did...could it really be teething already?? He doesn't seem to want to chew on anything, he sticks out his tongue when we try to put anything near his mouth...
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• what time he got up b/c either he got up early or it is time for a nap. So I change him, if that doesn't work I put him down for a nap. and finally if he has been in there for a while and is still upset then maybe he his teething so I give him the tabs. If that doesn't work we try a bath. by this time if he is still upset and crying obviously he isn't feeling well and I will break down and give him some tylenol. I have never had go past the tylenol so if they feel better after doing this then you know they don't feel good, but if that doesn't work I don't know what else to tell you. good luck I hope this was helpful.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 4:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• he could be teething I think mine started early if your not comfortable with the tabs try getting a corner of a wash rag wet and stick it in the freezer for about a min or two and see if he wil suck on that. The cold will numb his gums.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 4:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• He might have a sore throat too. does he have a runny nose? his sinus' could be draining.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 4:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Honestly yes he's teething. Drooling and slight fevers are 2 of the signs of teething, fussing, little diareha, are also signs. What I would do is give him some humpfrys (hope I spelled that right lol) that is for teething babys, and oh man does it work!!!. You can also give him some tylanol too to help with the pain as well as the fever. I hope this helps hun. I've been a mother for going on 8 years now and I have 3 boys. I feel your pain.
    BJJJJ

Answer by BJJJJ at 4:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• "unless we keep a finger in it to chew on"

This says teething to me too. My first had 2 teeth at 4 months and my second cut his first two at 3.5 months.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 4:08 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• No runny nose. He is still on his self-made sleep schedule with the exception of waking to cry a little more often. His eating is about the same as well, & we change his diapers as soon as he goes. I will try the washcloth idea, but I think I'm also going to go out & get some baby tylenol. Is he old enough now? I was told no OTC medicine until 3-4months, but I don't want him to be in pain either! I'm so lost, I just want him to feel better!
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 4:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2010