if you knew you were going to be a SAHM would you have still got a higher education?

i know ima catch Hell over this question. im only asking because a friend of mine jokinly (i think) said she wants to be a educated SAHM and she is graduating with a MA in may in public administration.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes I would have, women need education you never know when your spouse may leave for whatever reason death, divorce. It is important that a woman has an education to care for themselves and their children, I feel it is foolish not to have a higher education but that is my opinion.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 3:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I'm NOT a SAHM...but would have gotten my degree regardless. An education is something they cannot take away from you, and if something should happen that leaves you needing to fend for yourself, then you have the education to fall back on.

Getting an education is NEVER a mistake.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• if it was something that i could use. im getting bachelors degree in photography. so while i wont be making money, i will be enjoying myself and taking beautiful pictures with my baby. actually, it will save us money because i wont be paying someone else to do it. haha
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• of course, why would I not want to be educated and have something to fall back on if I ever had to go back to work
    Anonymous

• I am currently trying to be a SAHM (but financials may bring that to an end soon). However, either way, I would love to continue my education. I am actually going back to school for the first time in a couple years this semester! My thing about education is I love to learn, it is not really to get a better job. When it was about just getting that degree, I actually chose work over school. Now that I am trying to stay home, I'm much more interested in just the school part.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• yes I still would have it actually comes in handy, especially if you help at the schools or with other volunteer organizations, your able to offer skills that others may not have and those places are sorely in need of from volunteers. Personally compared to friends who didn't go to college those of us who did run our homes differently, we take a business approach to it when it comes to finances.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Absolutely! I wouldn't trade my career experience for anything! I got a B.A. degree in Social Work and worked with children in need and suffering from abuse, neglect, and mental illness for a number of years before becoming a SAHM. Now i hope to go back to school for something else and I'd love to re-join the workforce when my DD begins school.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I want my nursing degree no matter what. I had planned on having it before having kids, but life has a funny way of putting a wrench in plans and having to take a detour. I am back to school and I will be finished soon. I want to be an educated SAHM. I don't care whether I use it, but I want my DD to know that you can get your degree no matter what and that he mom worked hard for it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Yes, and I did get a BS. I decided not to go further.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I got my BA in kinesiology/exercise science while I was a SAHM. I knew I was going to be a SAHM before I even got married or had kids. It was very important to me to be the one to take of my children. I got my degree in 2007, when my DDs were 7 and 3. I am going to continue my education and get either my DPT (doctorate of physical therapy) or a Physician's Assistant degree. I haven't decided yet. But I won't go back until my third DD is in school because those are both required full-time degrees and I don't want to put her in daycare for that long while she's so little!

I think it is very important for women to get an education and have a "back-up" plan. What if DH loses his job? What if he leaves? What if your family has some kind of huge crisis that puts you in the red big time?
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2010