Is my 11 day old baby to young to start sneezing and coughing?!

whenbeautyfalls

Asked by whenbeautyfalls at 4:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its really common (and normal) for weird smells (maybe normal ones to you) to cause this reaction. remember that he/she has only been breathing on their own for 11 days! their respiratory system isn't used to having to cope with inhaled irritants that we may not even notice.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• No. I used to think it was so cute when my DD was a newborn and would sneeze.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 4:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My lil guy was sneezing a lot once we brought him home. We didn't even think about the fact that he wasn't used to the allergins in our air at first & thought he was sick. Newborns aren't used to them like we are, so the littlest things can cause reactions (dust, pet dander, pollen, etc). I would suggest a humidifier & bringing it up at your LO's well baby visit.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 4:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Nope. Those are the ways in which new babies expel all the liquid still left in their lungs. It is quite common and even more abundant in babies born by c section. Sneezing can also be a sign that baby is overly stimulated (i.e. too many noises, sights, lights, etc. can cause newborns to sneeze).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Totally normal, my son got a cold his first month of life, no big deal. If you are super worried (and i totally was at first) just talk to your pedi.
    LogansMama09

Answer by LogansMama09 at 4:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2010