How depressing is a job search?

This really sucks. I am not sure if there is anything that makes a person feel more worthless than sending out one thousand resume's a day and getting NO calls, NO emails, NO response back. Day in, day out.

Ugh.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Keep your head up -- the right opportunity will come along...don't forget to do follow-ups too...
    Anonymous

• Have fun. It took me 14 months to get a job. I have 11 pages of emails in my email account, something like 600 job applications. It SUCKS. Perserverance is key.
    Anonymous

• The common wisdom is one month for every $10K in salary.. but I'm pretty sure it's been worse over the past year.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Totally hear you.
    I was just saying to my husband that it isnt something that makes me feel proud and accomplished but low and annoyed.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I've been looking for the past year.....and there's an absolute abundance of nothing! I've applied and re-applied for the same jobs.....over and over! I've gotten back responses that consist of "you're over-qualified for this position". How disheartening........I"m right there with ya!
    Anonymous

• The unemployment rate is still very high, and it is very discouraging. I do have a few suggestions, though (I do career and job search coaching).
    Number 1 is networking; Cafemom is a start, but you need to actively seek out people and groups that can help you meet people who can connect you to someone hiring. Less the half of the available positions are posted on the job boards; you need to get out and find the others. A profile on Linkedin is a must!
    Number 2 is having a great "elevator speech". This is a 15 second introduction on who you are and what you are looking for.
    Number 3 is a great resume that tells the reader who you are, what you can do, what you have accomplished, and how you can help.
    Number 4 is great coverletters tailored to the position/company.
    Number 5 is using one of the meta search sites, like Indeed or Simply Hired, to comb the job boards for you.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• There are lots of great tips in the CafeMom job hunting moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837

Feel free to contact me with questions; I don't charge CafeMoms for my services.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2010