How to get my step son to stop wetting the bed?

He is 10 years old and still has to wear pull ups to bed because he still wets the bed. I only get him every other weekend. How could i help him stop doing it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Buying a mattress cover and let the child go to bed without undies on or with loose clothing, such as shorts. usually, it takes 1 to 3 times do stop. But it could also be an emotional issue.
    Leens

Answer by Leens at 4:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I have heard that it could be a chiropractic issues. A friend of mine had her son adjusted by a chiropractor a few times and it solved the problem!! Something about a nerve being out of place.....
    notsoaveragemom

Answer by notsoaveragemom at 4:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Try chiropractic care. If that doesn't seem to do anything, try the Hyland's bed wetting tablets, you can buy them at Wal-Mart. Also, don't stress him. My nephew, embarrassing to say, is still wetting his bed at night and he is 12 years. Sometimes I think it is a physical thing, it could be growth spurts. Also, emotional issues, like divorce and separation of parents, can cause this to happen in kids.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Oh I forgot to say, some kids sleep so sound that they don't feel the urge to get up to pee. The other thing is there are bed wetting alarms you can get for on the bed, that if they wet, it goes off and wakes them up. Monitoring what the liquid intake is in the evening may help also. Sometimes with kids like that, you have to get them up in the middle of the night and have them go and then get them back to bed. Is he afraid he'll get in trouble if he gets up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom? Or maybe he needs a special flashlight that he can get to use to go to the bathroom at night.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 5:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• My niece wet the bed until she was in HS. Turns out she is just a very deep sleeper. Her father still wets the bed as an adult.
    Anonymous

• well he is in a two home situation, but when i was little my mama told me that i was too old to be wetting the bed and if i did it again she was going to spank me. IT WORKED!! But your situation sounds a little different from mine.
    MommyInfinity

Answer by MommyInfinity at 9:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• My DD (she would kill me if she knew I was typing this!) wet the bed until she had just turned 11. If it is not a medical problem, and you are monitoring their intake, I don't know that there is anything else you can do. He will grow out of it. My DD is a hard sleeper, so that was her problem. Eventually their body figures it out. Now, if he was 16, I would be worried, but if you are sure it is not a medical problem I would try not to make a big deal of it. They don't like doing it either.
    MissesV

Answer by MissesV at 10:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• My daughter wet the bed until she was 11. This is what we finally did to help her to stop. First: We limited her water and dairy product intake after 6 pm. Then: When she went to bed and while we were still awake we would wake her up ever hour on the hour so she had the chance to go to the bath also getting her used to waking up at night to go to the bathroom. Then: Once I would go to sleep I would set my alarm to wake me up every three hours and I would wake her up to go to the bathroom. If she was wet I would have her take her wet stuff off and put dry stuff and bedding on. All and all it took about 6 months to get her out of wetting her bed but she eventually started waking herself up to go to the bathroom and has not had a single accident in over a year. Good Luck.
    sweetsone

Answer by sweetsone at 10:02 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• There are several reasons for this. It could be that something in his life has chaned dramatically and hes not coping very well, it could be a neurological issue, it could be hereditary, he may be scared if the house is very dark, or like most kids, he may be a very heavy sleeper who simply does not feel the urge. My advice, no drinks 2 hours before bed and have him use the bathrom before bed. I was 4 and my mom woke me up at 2 am so that I could use the bathroom and not pee the bed... don't do this. lol My mom tried everything.My step father would show my friends, i suppose to get me to be scared to wet the bed, as if I did it on purpose lol. See a dr if things don't get better.
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 9:56 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I've got two different stories. My nephew wet the bed when he wore underwear. My 8 year old set the bed until we found out he had PSTS. I hope you figure it out.
    tazzyt19

Answer by tazzyt19 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2008