Do you keep your jelly in the pantry or the refrigerator?

I used to keep it in the refridgerator but I hate cold jelly not to mention it does not spread right on the bread it gets too clumpy, but at room temperature I love it it spreads evenly and taste great...:)

Even though I used to stick it in the refrigerator once it was opened but I left it out one day and freaked out bc I thought it would have gone bad but no it did not especially when jelly here goes fast. Is there something I should know or is it no big deal.
Thank you ladies.

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I put mine in the fridge. Most things should be put in the fridge once opened so it doesn't grow bacteria. I have two different brands of jelly one opened and one unopened and both say refrigerate after opening.

Answer by coala at 4:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• If something says it needs to be refrigerated, I do it. But I'm weird about foods too. I keep my jelly in the fridge along with ketchup and mustard and all that other good stuff.

I think if it has fruit in it, then it can start to ferment if left out. I know that homemade jellies and jams have to be refrigerated.

Answer by all4mymarine at 4:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I keep mine in the refrigerator. The fruit in jelly (even with the preservatives) can spoil quickly and mold can form. If you buy a really good quality jelly, you can keep in the refrigerator and it will still be super easy to spread. Smuckers jellies don't seem to spread easy for me in the fridge, but I now buy Cascadian Farms organic jellies (only $2 for the small jar) and keep in the fridge and its just as soft and spreadable as a good homemade jelly not all clumpy like the kinds with all sorts of chemicals and preservatives added in.

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• i keep mine in the cabinet. We don't do cold jelly! :)

Answer by Shyma at 4:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Fridge! Peanut butter in cabinet..

Answer by maybebaby83 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• i think you're supposed to refrigerate jelly - i do believe it says so on the jar, but i could be wrong. that's where i keep mine.. it seems to have no expiration date.. so maybe it doesn't matter?

• Fridge!

Answer by salexander at 5:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I put everything in the fridge; but it's very humid here so things mold quickly - but jelly; PB; ketchup; mustard/mayo; soy; heck I even put the bread in the fridge!

• Fridge, but most of mine are homemade by my stepmom. The only jam or jelly we buy is grape jelly, everything else she makes.

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• my jelly jar says to refrigerate after opening......thats where I keep it anyway....learned it from growing i've always put it in there.....I'm not a big sweets person so it doesnt bother me lol

Answer by LynnB1 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2010