Anyone take klonopin or xanax in early pregnancy

I found out I was pregnant approx 9 weeks I was on klonopin solid for years and have now discontinued it. I was wondering if anyone else had experience with this medication during early pregnancy and what problems they had/I was on it until just last week.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have NOT.. but i would imagine since you quit you should be okay.. def. bring it up with your OB.. But lots of women dont realize they are pregnant in the begining and are on medications.. its a good thing tho to cut it off.. def. dont want to keep giving your baby that!
    Good luck on your pregnancy
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 5:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I assume you're taking it for anxiety rather than seizure since you're also on Xanax. Here's what I found:

http://epilepsy.emedtv.com/klonopin/klonopin-and-pregnancy.html
    Klonopin and Pregnancy Category D
    The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) uses a category system to classify the possible risks to a fetus when a specific medicine is taken during pregnancy. Pregnancy Category D is given to medicines that have shown clear evidence of risk to the fetus in studies. Pregnancy Category D is a stronger warning than a pregnancy Category C classification. However, a pregnancy Category D medicine may still be given to a pregnant woman if the healthcare provider believes that the benefits to the woman outweigh the possible risks to the unborn child.
    dibzz

Answer by dibzz at 5:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Xanax and Pregnancy Category D
    The U.
    S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) uses a category system to classify the possible risks to a fetus when a specific medicine is taken during pregnancy. Pregnancy Category D is given to medicines that have shown clear evidence of risk to the fetus in studies. Pregnancy Category D is a stronger warning than a pregnancy Category C or B classification. A pregnancy Category D medicine may still be given to a pregnant woman if the healthcare provider believes that the benefits to the woman outweigh the possible risks to the unborn child. Xanax was given a pregnancy Category D rating because of problems seen in animal and human studies. Benzodiazepine use during early pregnancy may increase the risk of birth defects, while use during later pregnancy can cause withdrawal symptoms in a newborn.

YMMV, talk to your doctor!!
    dibzz

Answer by dibzz at 5:36 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• thanks people but I was hoping for personal experience, I already know what the books say :) thank you though. I am going through a living hell for withdrawal and was hoping some understanding. Got to see my baby today though on ultrasound :) I was taking klonopin only for severe general anxiety and panic disorder/I was almost housebound years back and klonopin gave me my life back....
    Anonymous