no peanut products in school?

i'm a little aggrivated at my daughters school because there is a new child in my daughters class who is allergic to peanuts and peanut butter. they asked us not to send our children in with peanut butter or peanuts anymore. i was fine with that. 2 things they can't bring in, not a big deal. then, my daughter brought in a plain granola bar for snack and they sent it home with a note saying that children can't have anything that has that waring label "was produced in a factory that also produces nut products" or whatever the exact words are. almost every snack has that warning! it's just a precaution and they put it on things that don't even have nuts in them. my daughter even asked me if she could sit at a seperate table so she can eat the foods she likes. i asked the teacher and she said no. now my daughter barely eats anything at school. has anyone else had this problem at their school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• that is crazy!!!! and ridiculous!!!! i could see them asking not to send in snacks or food for the entire class that do or could contain nuts, but not if it is food for just your daughter. the other girl is the one who needs to be more aware of what she is eating... not the entire class!
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Some kid's allergies are so severe that even traces in the air can cause an attack. I am sure the attitudes would change if your children or yourself had a food allergy.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 5:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• well im not familiar with allergies and didnt know that. so it is a tough call bc it isnt fair to the other kids, but it also wouldnt be fair to separate the child with the allergy, so i dont know, but that stinks! good luck.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Suck it up! A child's life is in danger for your kid to have peanut butter. Is your kid having a certain snack worth another child's life? I get that it is frustrating, but have some empathy for the worry and stress this puts on her and her family. If it was your kid, what would you do?
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:10 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I agree with the poster that says suck it up. Some people can't be around the aroma because their allergy is so bad. I don't think a dead child is worth your daughter eating a snack.

The snacks without the label are out there if you take the time to look. I personally just went to my cupboard and found several things that do not have the warning. Fruit snacks, fruit cups, fresh fruit, raw veggies, chips, pretzels, etc. You can get them baked to make it healthier as well.

As a parent of a diabetic, you can't imagine the extra worry and stress every time they leave the house over "normal" things that other kids get to do everyday.

heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 5:19 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Yes, my son's school is nut free. not even teachers can have anything that has nuts. They also highly suggest nothing with nuts in the morning incase there is residue on the kids hands or something. I think it is crazy but that is just me. My family is lactose intolerant but they aren't banning dairy in the schools.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 5:26 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Lactose intolerant doesn't kill you especially if you don't ingest it. Not the same thing.

Peanut allergies are nothing the mess with.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 5:28 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• "My family is lactose intolerant but they aren't banning dairy in the schools. "

If the lactose intolerance was life threatening they would! Get a grip people, a child could die because of a snack!
    Anonymous

• My 18 month old was just officially diagnosed with an anaphylaxis peanut allergy this week. When we had to rush him to the hospital in October it was mind numbing. His eyes swelled shut and his breathing was labored. He had a rash from head to toe for several days and was throwing up. Now that all the tests have been run and his allergy level is off the charts I find your post very insensitive. My childs exposure to peanuts could = death, your child just has to change for a few hours a day. Try educating her and yourself with this link.

http://www.foodallergy.org/page/peanuts

Maybe you can teach your child some compassion. Try saying sweetheart, is that granola bar worth a mommy losing her precious baby? Or how about just plain thinking that your little inconvenience could save a child's life. I get to live in fear of taking him in public places every day. Try that for an inconvenience!
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Lovetosnorkel, I'm sorry you are having to go through this. I'm also happy you have found The Food Allergy Anaphylaxis (sp?) Network. They have some wonderful information on living with food allergies. There are over 12 million people in the United States who suffer from severe and life threatening food allergies. Over half of them are children and their parents have to be on guard at all times. FAAN is a wonderful support for people with allergies. They have all kinds of learning tools, nut free recipe books, and, most important, INFORMATION for everyone. I would suggest to those who feel it is "unfair" that your children don't get to take certain snacks to school, go to the website and do some research. foodallergy.org. You might learn something.
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 6:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2010