What do you think of Naders assessment?

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

Full title: Ralph Nader tells us: Health care reform "weak"; Tea Partiers "nothing"; Obama a "corporatist"...and he hasn't ruled out a 2012 prez run

... Ralph, with four prez runs under your belt, are you done running for public office?

"It's too early to say," Nader told The Chronicle.

... On the health care package the House and Senate are trying to forge: "It's very weak and deferred. The main thrust of the bill -- to insure the uninsured -- doesn't kick in for four years, with minor exceptions."

... Financial reform legislation: "It touched every base -- thin as ice. So it touched the ratings industry -- and didn't do much at all. It didn't do beans on derivatives. (Former Fed chair Paul) Volcker thinks it's absurd."

cont...

Friday

Asked by Friday at 5:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• ... On the Tea Party Movement: "There's nothing there. These are people who have other grievances other than the health issue. They're pro-NRA, pro-life, all that, and they're brought in under another umbrella."

... On Obama's first year: "He's a corporatist. Everything I predicted a year ago has turned out worse. But he's gone overboard in the sense that he's turned his back on the liberal and progressive constituency that elected him."

Full article

Friday

Answer by Friday at 5:19 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Nader isn't a dumb man, but I still hate him. :)
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 6:31 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

LOL

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:28 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• He has some good points. Don't agree with everything he says, but much of it is true.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• More money for community health centers. Immediate help for the uninsured. No more lifetime limits on coverage. Under the health care legislation that's moving through Congress, these and other benefits would take effect quickly and should produce a noticeab impact on consumers, according to many independent analysts and Democrats. "This would be a substantial package that could probably be quite helpful," said John Holahan, the director health policy center at Washington's Urban Institute, a research group. Paul Ginsburg, the president of the Center for Studying Health System Change, called help for Medicare prescription-drug beneficiaries and people with pre-existing medical conditions "highly visible improvements for individuals already highly aware of the shortcomings of the existing system

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/8

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:32 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• He makes some valid points-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• he's turned his back on the liberal and progressive constituency that elected him.

***
    I for one are quite happy he showed his true colors so early on and against those who fervently supported him. Makes me much more HOPEful for CHANGE in 2012!!! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I've actually voted for the Nader! I think he's very intuitive man who has a great perspective on many issues. As far as him running again, not such a good idea.
    bakebiscotti

Answer by bakebiscotti at 9:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I voted for Nader in one election, because I never did like Gore and hated Bush. However, I don't think he can win, he just doesn't have what it takes to win. I did like many of his views on domestic issues, though.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• i think he is right about health care, but he is i00% spot on regarding financial reform. The derivatives market with a turnover of trillions in unsecured funding was a time bomb waiting to explode . It did. It looks as if Obama is giving in to the same greedy Wall St jerks who caused the recession in the first place. The only reason I feel sorry for Bernie Madoff is that there are other money market CEO's who should be in the pen with him. It is disgraceful that the derivatives market remainns unregulated. The Feds were warned about its instability in advance of the collapse and did nothing.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:40 AM on Jan. 7, 2010