how to do education things with my kids.

So sometimes i feel like a really lazy mom because i dont spend the bulk of the day playing with my son(18 mos) and doing educational stuff. my oldest is 5 and was in daycare at 8 wks so i could go back to work and has always been 'trained" for school. she comes home in the afternoon and plays with her toys for about 30-45 min, then an hour of games either on Wii or PC, then homework and dinner, then movie with her bro before bed. the baby mostly runs around during the day while i go back and forth from cleaning to PC/Wii. he loves to play wii with me so he will watch me play in the AM while he plays, the in the afternoon i clean the pick up his sis and dad. we read everyday and i try to help him color and sort blocks, but he is a loner and prefers me to only watch. how can i get him ready for school. im not good at sticking to strict schedules and enjoy my freetime lol but i know he needs to be trained somehow!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Use play time to teach him, for example when playing cars talk to him "mommy has the blue car and you have the red car" with blocks talk about bigger and smaller, count them, ect....playdough and coloring talk about shapes. Instead of thinking of it as training him for school think of it as teaching him about what is around him.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• You don't have to sit down and "educate him" like you're thinking. As long as you're talking with him and explaining things to him, you'll be good!!!
    Anonymous

• If you read to him for 20 minutes each day (or more!) then you're ahead of the game. My teacher friends love to tell me, "I can't tell you which kid in my class was breast or bottle fed, but I can tell you whose parents read to them since infancy."
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 6:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Way too much video for a five year old. Reading time would be great; in fact he can read to the baby.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2010