Breast feeding questions.....

I am breast feeding for the first time with this baby when he gets here. I am very excited but kinda nervous about doing this right. Just a few questions and your positive input and tips are greatly appreciated. Since I chose to breast feed, do I strictly just use the breast, not pump and use bottles also so dad can feed too?(I dont mind doing all the feeding just wondering if it's a bad idea to introduce bottle too) When do I need to pump and store milk or is it necessary at first? I know everyone has to just figure out works for them but I am just wanting some pointers on how to get started and have a good experience with breast feeding.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I pumped and used a bottle, and my DD had NO problems with it, but every baby is different. My doctor recommended using a bottle that had nipples that were "similarly shaped" so we used the drop in avent ones. I pumped from day one, I usually would do a feeding pump afterward, do a feeding pump afterward, etc. so I could a) get my milk flowing better and b) have milk built up for when I went back to work. Good luck and congrats on your decision to BF!!!
    Anonymous

• well i HAD to pump b/c i produced more then what my baby was drinking. It got too built up and hurt so bad. My son didnt really get the hang of nursing, he would hurt my nipples too badly so I ended up switching to only a bottl and pumping. It was much easier and completely painless compared to what he was doing to my nipples.

oh and they make a cream for ur nipples. BUY IT. it will be your lifesaver! It helped mine soooo much.
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 5:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Start with just the breast, to get your supply established. You CAN pump for dad to feed when you are NOT there. When you're with them, YOU feed from the breast. Dad is in charge of diapering and bathing.

Whether it's a bad idea to introduce a bottle depends entirely on YOUR BABY. Some will refuse the breast afte3r just one bottle. Some will switch back and forth no problem. You cannot know which variety you have, unfortunately...they don't come with any special labels. **grin**

Drop by the breastfeeding moms group for loads of info and support.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I've only been breastfeeding for 6 weeks now, so not a pro, but it's been going great! The lactation consultant at the hospital I delivered in was wonderful - she advised me to wait 4 weeks to begin pumping, in order for my supply to regulate. She also informed me that waiting 3-4 weeks to introduce a bottle/pacifier to baby, as those can also interfere with your supply & baby getting the hang of nursing. I've just been letting my daughter nurse on demand from day one. Now I do pump an occasional bottle, so daddy can have some bonding time with her.  It's awesome that you've decided to breastfeed! 

Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 5:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• oh, yeah - definitely get lanolin for your nipples! My daughter did have some problems latching on for the first week or two & it was not pleasant! the lanolin helped tremendously & it worked quickly!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 5:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Lanolin is great as someone already said. The other tips you have gotten are good too. I didn't pump at all while I was on my maternity leave. My Breastfeeding book was great- I had the one by Dr Sears and his wife and read through it before and after I had my daughter. Also, the day my milk really came in I got a little engorged. I wet a towel with hot water and wrapped it around my heating pad and laid it over my chest. It helped immensely. Also, once my daughter was about six weeks or so we learned to nurse with me laying on my side and her laying next to me. It was great, she would often fall asleep, I could doze. That was the best nursing position but it took a few tries to get the hang of it.

Good luck! I found breast feeding to be a wonderful experience and I hope it is the same for you.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 6:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• It is great to use a pump and get some time away from your baby or (in my case) keep working. Start filling the freezer with milkcicles at around 6 weeks; this is also a good time to introduce a bottle (be sure that you are out of sight, and the baby is hungry and not starving).

Answer by rkoloms at 6:49 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I BF MY SON AND IN THE BEGGING I FED HIM STRICKLY THEN HIS DAD FELT LEFT OUT SO I PUMPED BUT I STILL FOUND MYSELF FEEDING HIM SO MY ADVICE TO YOU IS MAKE A SCHEDULE THAT WORKS FOR EVERYONE IF HE IS GOING TO HELP MY SON IS 8 MONTHS OLD AND IM STILL LEARNIING TRICKS ABOUT BF ITS GREAT ITS NOT AS EASY IN THE BEGINMNNIG SO DONT GIVE UP WAIT ABOUT A MONTH BEFORE GIVING HIM A BOTTLE SO HE DOSENT GET CONFUSED GOOD LUCK
    momma051209

Answer by momma051209 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• MY advice as a mom who has been there....BF strictly for 6-8 weeks unless going back to work. Pumping is only needed really if you plan to go back to work, otherwise maybe here and there to get some extra stored for an emergency, but don't have dad give a bottle.

Remind Daddy that there is SO much more to do for bonding, think changes, rocking, dancing, singing, bathing and the list goes on. My hubby loved to wear my son and he loved daddy to wear him.

I along with Gdiamante above a few others are Moderators of the BFing mom group, join us....lots of great info and support!
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/325
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• The one thing that no one has yet said is that when you first begin breast feeding, it is TENDER! Your nipples are not used to being sucked on constantly and in my case, it HURT! We had latch issues at first so I was cracked, and bleeding and VERY sore! We corrected those issues, and have been going strong for 9 months now!! Wait at least 4 wks to pump, then pump in the am, and as you feel you need to! Drink lots of water!! You have to have fluid to make fluid! I also introduced a bottle asap so that dd didn't have a prob. I use dr. browns. I however used one nipple level lower than what the pkg recommended so to try and avoid her wanting the bottle because it flows faster. So for Dr. Browns, I used a preemie nipple when she was born and then a level one, and we are still on level two at 9 mos. right now.... I fould that to be a tremendous help! Also, join the bf group here! It is awesome!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 2:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2010