Regular pain medication or an epidural? whats your experiences? which would you prefer?

i am 34 weeks and getting extremely nervous about my options!! any suggestions would be helpful :-)

fenska87

Asked by fenska87 at 5:45 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Seriously, hon, ALL OR NOTHIN! I did the pain meds and they were STUPID! They put me to sleep and made me all crazy, basically I would sleep for two minutes, and wake up for a minute long contraction, then fall back asleep for two minutes, and repeat. So to me I was just having this one huge long contraction. It was the worst thing in the world. I recommend either goin' all natural or getting the epi.
    Anonymous

• I went all natural. It's better for you both and makes labor faster if you just remember it will pay off in the end. If I ever have another child...it will be sans meds again. And I was a 19y/o doing this, so, most anyone can.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:49 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I've personally had one child with pain meds and the other not. My first was actually my all natural birth, and it's a birthing experience I have positive thoughts and feelings about. With my second I intended to go all natural again, but was pressured into pain meds and an epidural, for me, this was not a positive experience, I can't think too fondly back to that birthing experience. I still have back pain at the location my epidural was inserted, and my second son will be 1 in February. I personally will only ever have a natural birth from now on unless there were some extensive circumstances.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 5:49 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I was nervous, too. I had my daughter October '08. Anyway, being my first, I had no real idea what to expect for pain levels. I did some reading about hypnobirthing, breathing throught the pain and different positions, etc. My plan was to try all the alternatives but not to suffer- if my pain got unbearable I would get something to help me. Labor can go so many ways I think you have to be flexible- you could labor for two hours or two days, need pitocin or not, etc. I ended up being induced. For about the first six hours I was fine with the minor pain. Then it increased and I asked the nurse to go over my pain med options. I tried pain meds thru the i.v. first- those helped for an hour or two- then I requested the epidural when the pain got worse. I was trembling and miserable and wanted that epidural. It helped a lot, and once I had it things went fast, I think because my body finally relaxed. My biggest fear (cont.)
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 5:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I had two with regular pain medication and one with epidural. With my experiences, I will not have an epidural again. It was the hardest and longest of my three labors. That being said I was also in the best mood through it all with the epidural because I didn't feel the pain at the time. My first two deliveries went very smooth, my water broke, started to feel contractions, got pain medicine, it wore off and it was time to push. In my opinion you don't feel the pain as much when you are pushing. #3 started out the same, water broke, started feeling contractions but the doctor said that the contractions were not picking up fast enough so they gave me pitocin. Since I have heard that pitocin makes contractions worse I got the epi. Well, things didn't go as well, they were threatening a c-section. Finally, 19 hours after my water broke my dd came out. With my boys it was only 8 hours after my water broke. (cont.)
    Anonymous

• Call me a pussy but I prefer the epideral. My body is going to be doing enough work as it is when it comes time to push the baby and I just don't want to deal with the pain. Especially if they "cut". Ouch!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 5:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• cont. - it could have because of the epi, who knows but if you can handle the pain I would say not to get one. Next time I will be refusing it and the pitocin and let nature take its course. Your body knows what to do.
    Anonymous

• My biggest fear about getting the epidural was getting a catheter (sp?). They gave it to me after the epidural so I felt nothing, but I had to have one again a couple of days later to check for protein in my urine and honestly, it was barely even uncomfortable. I was so scared but it turned out to be a piece of cake.

I think you have to just plan to go with the flow- don't feel like a failure if you get pain meds. If your pain is just really uncomfortable then just get something to take the edge off, if you are cursing and screaming then get an epidural. Do your research beforehand so you know your facts when you have to make decisions on the spot- and use your nurse because she is filled with info and there to go over everything with you. Good luck Mama!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 5:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• yes i did the pain meds with my second child they didnt even kick in until after she was born. a natural birth is so much better in my opinion. remember once you start pushing dont stop it feels alot better the sooner you get her/him out
    Maxsmommy1

Answer by Maxsmommy1 at 5:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• owe yeah i was 15 with my all natural and 17 with my second
    Maxsmommy1

Answer by Maxsmommy1 at 5:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2010