Pooping during nap time.

My almost 2 and a half year old always poops at nap time. I put him in his crib between 1 and 1:30 and he plays till about 2:30 and poops sometime during that time. I have to go in and change him and then try to get him to take a nap. Many days he doesn't go to sleep till 3 and I won't let him sleep past five but then at bed time at 8, he'll play for an hour to an hour and a half! I don't want him spending all that time alone in his crib but I KNOW how important sleep and especially naps are. Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation and some advise?

karina400

Asked by karina400 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nap time should be nap time, play time should be play time make the room dark and just leave a night light on.
    Keep him active from morning till nap time and he should go asleep from been tired.
    Leave him with a teddy and that's it, if you have to read him a story do so then curtains closed.
    My son doesn't always nap he's 2 and on the days he skips naps it's a early bath, story and bed for him and he's fine.
    Anonymous

• My girl has this habit too. I think something about relaxing for the nap loosens up the bowels.

I generally turn on the baby monitor, and if she's still awake for 20-30 minutes, I can guess she's got a poop...it's the only thing that keeps her awake for so long. I go change it, then tuck her back in. Sometimes we go through that process twice before she falls asleep.

I know I'd rather her not be alone, but it's the only balance I've found between giving her a chance to fall asleep, and taking care of the poops that keep her awake.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 8:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• You could try to move lunch time a bit earlier but keep nap time the same. The ideal bowel schedule is that it comes right after lunch and before nap! The normal digestive process favors this, but kids aren't always compliant! Potty training could help, because then you could have him sit on the potty and at least try right before nap. If he could pee in the toilet right before nap, this could stimulate a bm. Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2010