My son wont talk what can i do?

my son just turned two in the begining of december. he doesnt say over 20 words his doctor sent us to a nurologist and they want him to go to a autism center,speech class, and hearing screening. i know he can hear perfectly. i just think he dont want to talk has anyone else had these issues? how long until he/she started talking more than one word. he says less than a couple words together.

Maxsmommy1

Asked by Maxsmommy1 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Go ahead and get the screenings. Imagine how awful you would feel if he did have some form of autism or a speech or hearing issue, and you lost time getting him treatment.
    My son wasn't diagnosed with high functioning autism until he was 3. At two, we had no idea. We just thought he was stubborn and wouldn't talk.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 6:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• This is no time to be playing with your kid's future. Go to the appointments and get him checked. It won't hurt anything.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 6:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I second that
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My son just turned 2 he's staying a lot of words but not together.
    He still points at things, gets angry when we don't understand him.
    He doesn't say his name and only says words he wants to say.
    Words that interest him as in Fish,dog, cars,etc
    I do flash cards with him now and he repeats the ones he likes but I've notice little changes in him.
    You can make up your own flash cards with photo's of every day objects and laminate them.
    Best of luck and not to worry.
    laika

Answer by laika at 6:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Definitely get your child screened. While there is probably nothing wrong, if there is a developmental issue, early intervention is always best.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My son started to talk (words rather than mama dada) after his second birthday, I enrolled him in Early Intervention when it was suggested and now he is in speech therapy at the hospital where he pediatrician is located he is now 31/2 and still behind a little with his speech but he says everything now and he is being worked with by the professionals, and at home I read to him alot and use flash cards, keep the appts. you have get him all the assistance suggested to you. Good Luck:)
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 6:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My grandson couldn't hear to repeat words back correctly. The dr put tubes in his ears so he hears fine but is having a processing problem. He hears now and understands words but it takes him a minute to process the information and reply. He's in speech therapy now. There are so many small things it could be. Get the screenings. It's probably something that can be corrected simply

Answer by admckenzie at 7:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I agree he should be tested, Its better to know .gl
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 7:59 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Definitely get him checked- these people are experts at developmental stages. The screening for autism may just be a precaution- there are many other things that can cause speech delays. If he qualifies for therapy and intervention now, you could save a lot of heartache and time later on. The brain is very easily retrainable until the age of 6-7; if you wait until they are old enough for school the therapy/ interventions can take years rather than months at this stage. Just take a deep breath and relax. Take someone with if you can so you have another set of ears listening to the results.
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 8:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• If you are correct about why your son won't talk, the tests will support that, and you will be able to get professional advice on where to go from there. Tests are used to rult things out as much as they are to confirm things.
    mom2alan

Answer by mom2alan at 10:20 PM on Jan. 6, 2010