How do we go back to sleep once we wake up for a feeding?

My three week old daughter goes to sleep fine at 7:30 when we put her down for the night. But when she wakes up for her bottles at night she refuses to go back to sleep without being held for at least a couple hours. And if she is asleep before that as soon as I put her down she wakes up crying again. Any advice on how to deal with this or how to get her to go back to sleep?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep your room dark with a little light for feeding, don't interact with her.
    Keep it to feeding and burping and she'll soon get the message that it's night time.
    Anonymous

• cosleeping...

Answer by rkoloms at 6:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• We don't co-sleep, but our daughter sleeps in her bassinet at the foot of our bed, which allows me to just bring her in bed with me and nurse her & she always falls back to sleep. I leave the light off & if I do talk to her, I whisper very quietly & she's only up for 30-60 minutes. Then I just place her back in her bassinet and she's out for several hours.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 6:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• after the feeding make sure she does a good burp and put her down, it is very difficult to let them cry but sometimes you have to because a baby realizes that if they cry and you jump everytime they catch onto that and they will cry everytime because they know your reaction will be to pick them up and hold them, so even though it is hard to let them cry sometimes you have to, she will learn after awhile to go back to sleep.
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 6:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2010