Military pediatricians. Are they any better than the civilian doctors?

I want my daughter to go to a civilian pediatrician because I think they are better than the military doctors. Can you tell me about your experiences both good and bad with military docs so that I can make an informed decision? Thank you.

harakal1

Asked by harakal1 at 6:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i didn't like the military doctors simply because they treat everyone the way they would a soldier. you're fine, you're gonna be fine, now get out of my sight. your daughter would definitely be better off going to see a civilian doctor and i pray that you take her to see a civilian doctor. civilian doctors are there because they want to help people, military doctors usually have ulterior motives for why they joined the military.
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• No. ANd in fact, at least at Ft Hood, civilian peds are better. All of our doctors were civilians after our military doctor experiences. And I agree, they treat you like a soldier.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 6:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• IM NEW TO THIS BUT I DONT THINK SO I DIDNT LIKE THE WAY THEY TREATED MY SON AND THEY ARE KINDA ROUGH ALSO INSTEAD OF THEM SETTING THE APPOINTMENT FOR ME TO COME BACK THEY WANT ME TO DO IT AND THIS IS MY FIRST CHILD SO IM NEW TO MAKING KID APPOINTMENTS AND HIS APPOINTMENT IS CRAZY
    momma051209

Answer by momma051209 at 7:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Never been to happy with military doctors, so my daughter and I both see civilians. =)
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 7:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• The military doctors never did a 2 month well baby for my daughter and didn't do her 4 month until she was 5 months old because they are SOOO full. Also it took 4 appointments and finally on the 4th the doctor was actually able to see the ear infection, all the others said her ears looked great. I think the care lacks mostly because they are so full (at least at our base) so you see a different doctor every single time you go; even one of the doctors made a comment at how insane it is with TriCare making all of us go on base.. I asked to go off because base almost made me miscarry and TriCare denied my request. They also REFUSE to give us a copy of her well baby check... not very reassuring. Good luck! If you have TriCare they might not let you see a civilian, I'm still fighting that battle.
    eab001

Answer by eab001 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• It depends and there are so many civilian doctors that might not be so good either. My favorite Pediatrician was at an Air Force base in Germany.He was a graduate of Yale Medical school. He was the greatest.
    But then there was also a complete cold hearted idiot doctor in South Carolina who man -handled my grandson and made him cry through the whole exam when he was a month old! I went along with my daughter to help carry stuff, etc. and I was appalled at the guy. He was , as I said, an idiot!
    So--don't generalize about military doctors. There are good and bad in the military and also in civilian clinics too.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I guess you are going to get good and bad doctors everywhere you go. Overall I think military doctors are less quality. My dad was in the military for 20 years, so I always went to one. I only had one really really good one, that was about 10 years ago. They had also just started changing it on our base (Wright Patterson) so that you had one doctor you saw all the time. I would say at least try the military doctor first, if all else it's free! and if you're not happy then find one off base.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 10:27 AM on Jan. 7, 2010