What were the "sins" of Sodom & Gomorrah??

I always was told that the sins were sexual in nature, but the more I read the account that doesn't make sense...

If the "sins" were really sexual in nature then Lot and his family should have been destroyed as well, right?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:31 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The firsts major one was sodomy. (taken from Sodom) And Lot was spared because he followed the Lords teachings. The town was basically full of people participating in Sodomy (i don't believe it is called that in the bible though) There were vistors at Lot's house and the towns people came and demanded that Lot turn them over so that they could have their way with them. Lot refused and offered his virgin daughter instead. The towns people continued to insist. Lot tried to convince the towns people to stop their evil ways or they would be destoryed. They did not list and Lot was told to leave the town and never look back. Unfortunately, I believe it was his wife, looked back and was turned into a pillar of salt. The reason Lot was not destroyed is that he and his family NEVER partook in the sins of the towns people. They remained loyal and true to God. This is proven when Lot refuses to let his male vistors be raped
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 6:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• con. and he offered his virgin dauther instead. If lot had participated, why would he protect his vistors?
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• here is a link that will help explain more fully!

http://www.gotquestions.org/Sodom-and-Gomorrah.html
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• well...from what I understand; .they pretty much had sex with men and women alike..its was an overall "sinful" place. They gambled, drank and had sex. God had sent 2 angels to try and find at least 50 righteous men and they went to Lot's house, who took them in and fed them. The men of the city demanded to "know" ( in this context, to know someone was to be intimate with them.) these men, not meet these men, so Lot gave them his own daughters.

Genesis 19
    5And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.

6And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,

7And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.

8Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do
    Supastarr8182

Answer by Supastarr8182 at 6:59 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Lot offered his virgin daughters to an angry mob to rape... How is that not just as depraved as being in the mob itself? So what he refused to let his male visitors be raped... He handed his daughters over! These are his own daughters!

And then, his daughters get him drunk and rape him... Again, this would be just as twisted in the mind of this God I would think!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Yea, I don't understand how offering one's daughter to a group of people who want sex who be any less of a "sin". How does this make any sense?!!!!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Glad I'm not the only one! Personally I see it as much worse!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I don't get it either...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Um, i don't remember his daughters getting him drunk and having sex with him??? but will have to look that one up. The two men who were visiting him were actually angels, Lot did not know this thoug, he only knew of their fate if the townspeople got a hold them. It was the King of Sodom and king of Gomorrah's practice to force their toops to sleep with one another (from what i understand). This was done by Napolean too. The reason being is that if you are sleeping with the person next to you, you are more likely to avenge their death or die protecting them. You work together to not get killed. Doesn't seemed to have worked in their favor lol.

Oh, but the visitors i believe are the ones that suggested that Lot send out his daugther... i will have to reread the entire chapter to remember all the details.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 7:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Lot and his daughters end up taking refuge in a cave, where the girls decide to get their father drunk and have sex with him so that he can father their children. The eldest daughter conceives a son who will be the first of the Moabites, the people from whom the great figure Ruth comes. Since Ruth is an ancestor of David, and David an ancestor of Jesus, Christ himself is (if we accept Matthew’s lineage) a descendent of a line begun in father-daughter incest.

Genesis 19:30-38
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:26 PM on Jan. 6, 2010