When should a baby start to chew food?

My son is a year old and still cant eat cherrios or melt aways or anything like that. He gags or chokes everytime

hollyann89

Asked by hollyann89 at 6:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The melt aways should be melting in his mouth. My LO was eating cheerios before she had molars. I guess it is all child dependent. Keep giving them to him and try veggies that are steamed and that can be mashed by the gums. I hope he gets better at it soon.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:59 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• When did you start giving it to him. He has to get used to it. Try giving him stuff that can be mashed so he can get used to the chewing motion and swallowing.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Mine were all at least making the motions by 9-10 months. You may need to seek out some therapy for him - not sure if it'd be speech, occupational, or what. But definitely bring it up with the doctor as soon as you possibly can. I've never seen a child past the age of one not even try to chew something.
    Anonymous