Bleeding with placenta previa

I was told at 13 weeks that I had placenta previa because I was bleeding heavily and had an ultrasound that showed it. I am now 16 weeks and still bleeding off and on. You know, bleeding for 3-4 days then stopping for 3-4 days. Now it's really dark blood really brown like the lochia after having my other kids. Don't know exactly what it means. Is this a good sign? Is the previa correcting itself or getting worse? Have had a doc appt since then but it was during one of the times I wasn't bleeding so I didn't think to ask.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had the same thing right around the same time... and I havent bleed in a while and the last of the blood i saw was real dark... so my guess is a good sign... im almost 20 weeks and they said they would do another sono around that time to see if it has cleared up so hopefully they do the same with you....

but that was the lsat of the bleeding for me so hoefully it will be for you to, i think i had the dark blood for maybe a week and a half.... hopes this helps good luck!!!
    mommy2b17MV

Answer by mommy2b17MV at 8:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Well the dark blood is "old" blood, so maybe it is getting better, but it would also be lightening and not be as frequent. You should def. call your doctor though; even if it's after hours.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 7:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Brown blood usually means old blood BUT any bleeding should be reported to your Dr. ASAP. Placenta previa is when the placenta attached to a place it shouldn't be, usually close to or over the cervix. Placenta previa does not fix it's self. Follow your Dr. orders and keep him or her informed on what is going on. If you don't know alot about this condition, google placenta previa and go to the mayo clinic and read up. They give easy to understand information. This condition can be fatal to you if the bleeding becomes uncontrolled.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:14 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• "Placenta previa does not fix it's self"

and yes it does fix itself im sure as your doctor has told you... as the uterus grows this allows room for the placenta to move upward away from the cervix

if you have any questions feel free to ask i think i did all the research in the world when they told me i had it and I have asked every question in the book to my doctor!!
    mommy2b17MV

Answer by mommy2b17MV at 8:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2010