Medicine

My daughter has an infection that requires her to take an antibiotic and Tylenol to keep her temp down. She is fighting me and I do not know what else to try. I don't want to force her but I have to keep her temp down! I have tried to mix it with juice/milk/sprite. She doesn't want any of those. Any suggestions?!?!

JJJMommyKris

Asked by JJJMommyKris at 7:10 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well I know this may sound mean, but you won't be actually hurting her, I've done this to mine. Lay the child on the floor, strattle her, with your knees on her arms, not hard just enough to hold her still, squeeze her mouth alittle, and put the meds in towards her cheek. It does sound mean, but you have to get the meds in her. GL
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 7:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I know it wont help at this moment but check this out..  https://www.avatheelephant.com/ 

otherwise, try a dropper/syringe...

Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 8:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I would focus on the antibiotic and not worry about the Tylenol if it's a battle. A fever can't and won't harm her and you can do other things like dress her in light clothing, give lukewarm baths and apply wet clothes to her head to keep her temp in check.
    Don't mix the medication in any drinks or foods for 2 reasons... one is that she has to take that much MORE to get the dose of medication in and two, she might stop eating and drinking because she thinks you are going to trick her.
    And then I would talk to your pediatrician about another antibiotic... either one that has a smaller amount or she takes less often, for a shorter period of time or tastes better.
    If there aren't any other options or she still won't take it. Hold her down, make squeeze her cheeks to make fishy lips, and then take the syringe and put it in the back of her cheek and do small squirts.. in between squirts blow a fast puff of air in her face.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:59 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• If the fever isn't over 102, I wouldn't worry about it; keep her hydrated and cool

Answer by rkoloms at 9:26 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• i wouldn't worry about a fever until 104, so don't worry about the tylenol. it is not worth the fight, and the fever might actually help her get over her ear infection. Chiropractic can help with ear infections too. Look into it if they seem to be common.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2010