Two boys that won't listen

I have two boys ages 3 and 4 who don't listen to me. I have to yell at the top of my lungs and I get tired of doing that. I take thing away from them when they dont listen to me. It's very different when their father is home they listen to him but not to me, my mom or my step-father. I need help. I really don't like yelling at them. How do I get them to listen.. What are some of your trick and tip to get them to listen..

Asked by Princessstar024 at 4:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you yell at them a lot, they'll learn to tune you out. You need to get down, look them in the eye, and grab an arm if you need to... then use your best, firm MOM voice & get your point across. If they STILL won't listen, make them sit in time-out. Time outs only work if you really enforce it. The 4 year old has to sit there for 4 minutes, and if he gets up, time starts over. Use a timer if you have to. They might not seem like they care, but the point is to take them away from whatever bad stuff they're doing (including not listening), not to make them cry. If you're a spanking type of person, give him a pop on the butt for disobeying, getting lippy, etc. Make sure whatever you decide to do, that you let any other caregivers know that THESE are the rules... everyone must be consistent. The structure will help.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• whoop there Asses! Children are never too young to teach respect to. My children know by a look. I trained them respect from the get go. Your never to late. You need to let them know that you are BOSS! You are the Giver and Taker in the home. Watch ghetto movies on how some of the females treat there kids. You may at first think it is extreme, but if you apply it correctly you will find that it is easier for you.

Answer by MissLady620 at 5:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• they r old enought to be talked to eye to eye. In their language. Tell them u don't want to yell u r going to say it once and then this is going to happen. then stick to it. they will try you but stay consistant. after the first few times they will see that mommy isn't playing. make sure the punishment is something that is going to grab their attention.if you r taking things away, it can't be forever. maybe 5-10min or so. good luck my 2 boys r 6 and 3. been there doing that!

Answer by MommyInfinity at 9:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2008