Question about health care?

I was listening to the radio the other day and there was chatter about other countries that have UHC. I know that's not exactly what the democrats are trying to do here, but the thing that woke me up was that they were saying that in other countries that if you go to the Dr. and they determine that you need additional testing and they can't get you in for that testing in a short amount of time, that you are barred from paying for the procedure yourself and that you basically have to wait until your turn. Is that something that is in the bills that the democrats are trying to forge together? Does this not concern anyone that supports the bill?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• but the real gutsy reform is completely off the table

THIS is absolutely true! There is no allowing insurance companies to sell across state lines, there is no tort reform and no adujustment made to Medicare and Medicaid to bring payment in line with cost of the actual care. If they really had been gutsy they would have made health insurance like car or homeowners where you pick your company/plan and pay for it yourself..they would have removed the employer from the healthcare equasion. They could have done so much. It is so sad they didn't.

I am worried about the outcome. It isn't about healthcare or the welfare of the American people. It simply a pocket lining power grab. I do think they will ram it through though. They don't care what "we the people" think.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Do some research on the various hc systems utilized in the industrialized nations. There is 1 more than 1 type of system. Each 1 has pros and cons.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Of course people are worried about the drop in quality and quickness of our health care - they've been voicing such concerns since the house began working on the bill.

I'm more worried now that the senate and house are combining their two different health care bills outside of public committee...we have no idea what the final bill is going to look like - and it won't be subject to the same debate and scrutiny before the final vote.
    Anonymous

• Bah. Your concerns are completely off base. Neither bill even attempts anything like a single payer system like you are describing. There's no comparison. There's not even going to be a public option, all the bill basically does is change the rules that insurance operates under, and then subsidizes people who can not afford it. What the final bill will even accomplish is unknown as of yet, but the real gutsy reform is completely off the table.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• "there's not even a public option."

There is a public option in the house version of the bill, but not the senate version...so we can't say it's not on the table at all because these two bills are supposed to be merged together somehow.
    Anonymous

• I don't know that the concern is off base since it hasn't been determined what will be in the final bill. That's why I am asking. The chatter that I was hearing was the similarities between what the democrats are trying to push and what other countries have. I was not saying that what we will have will be universal health care or public option.

Anonymous