If you are on antidepressant, are you also seeking therapy?

Do you have a plan to get better? Or just continue taking meds till you take yourself off of them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I took myself off because they made me feel worse than before. And I hated therapy, so I quit that too. Although these days I don't think I could afford medication and therapy LOL!
    Anonymous

• Depression and other mental disorders are not always caused by your childhood or some sort of stress or trauma. It's a chemical imbalance in your brain that you can't help, so the way of treating it is to take antidepressants or other psychiatric meds to balance out the chemicals in your brain. There's nothing shameful about it, it would be the same as having a thyroid disease and having your hormones out of balance, you need treatment.
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 9:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• flaggot, does that mean you have to take it for the rest of your life?
    Anonymous

• I would love to have therapy to help me learn better ways to cope but my crappy insurance only covers prescriptions. I'm on a payment plan just from the doctor visit. The pill helps me not feel so bad most of the time.
    Anonymous

• I took antidepressants and did the therapies, too. None of it helped me. I finally found a counsellor who was willing to help me in the only way I could be helped, and thanks be unto God, I am not living free.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:19 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I plan on being on it for awhile. I lost my dad very unexpectedly and I am not ashamed to be on meds to help me cope.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I'm in therapy, but I will likely need medication on and off for the rest of my life. I'm bipolar and that isn't something that goes away.
    TempestRayne

Answer by TempestRayne at 9:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Some people, Bi-Polar for instance, is not caused by trauma. Rather it is an illness caused usually by genetics. And yes... some people will have to be medicated for their entire lives. It is no different than being diabetic or arthritic.

Please don't judge people who do take any sort of mood drug. Praise God they want to better themselves, whether it is caused by trauma or chemical imbalances.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:45 PM on Jan. 6, 2010