At what age would you legally have to separate (different rooms) your boy and girl?

Especially interested in answer from those from Michigan.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• There is NO LAW about seperating siblings unless they are foster children. When I was a kid in the 80s I had friends who shared a room well into HS. No law. The law cant tell someone how many bedrooms they have to have. The law cant force someone who only has a 2 bedroom home to make sure their next child is the same sex or you have to move. Could you imagine how ridiculous that would be? I have interned for DCFS and worked for a few social service agencies and they always got calls about this, and how old a child has to be before they can stay home alone. There is no age. NONE!!! Surprising for the second part, but makes sense with the original questions. I even googled it and nothing came up except on seperating sibling, like foster or adoption or twins...
    jajumommy2000

Answer by jajumommy2000 at 12:33 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• i'm not from michigan, but when i was on public housing back in south carolina...if you had two kids of a different sex they gave you a 3 bedroom house/apartment. legally i think at the age where they can talk is when you should seperate the kids. but like now i live in texas and we have a two bedroom apt and it's either my daughter sleep with me and hubby or in the room wit her brother who has a bunk bed
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 9:26 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I think that is just a section 8 thing. I dont think legally anyone can tell you who can sleep in the room with each other. I would say if you cant afford it then dont do it. Wait until they are getting a little order and the daughter starts to need some privacy or vice versa.

My cousins two kids shared a room until she brought a house. Her daughter was 13 and her son was 6.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 9:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I think its ridiculous that you have to even think of seperating siblings. They're brother and sister and nothings going on that shouldn't be. We put that notion into our kids head and set them up for bad things to happen.
    blondiemaker07

Answer by blondiemaker07 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• There are no laws about siblings of the opposite sex sharing a room unless they are foster kids or involved in a molestation case with CPS or, like someone said, you are in section 8 housing. My 8yo son and 7yo daughter share a room and like it that way. Up until a few weeks ago my 9yo daughter was in the room, too. They will continue to share until they decide they want separate rooms. That is, if we have the room.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• There IS a law against siblings of the same sex sharing a room. I believe the national age is 5. My parents got in trouble for allowing my brother and me to share a room at any age - I was 8 years older. They got cited for it.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I agree with previous poster, the only law I am aware of is for foster children
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 10:42 AM on Jan. 9, 2010