Do you believe alcoholism is a disease? Or a choice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• it is a nasty diease!!
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 9:22 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• yes to both
    addictin is a disease - and addiction is not easy to let go of, but it is a choice to continue the drinking....
    (my dad is a drunk and has drank himself on to his death bed, I drank heavinly before my son, but now I don't because I make the choice to not make my son grow up in the house with a drunk like I had too, its not easy, and I have majorly addictive tendancies which is why I have to steer clear) I made that choice - so I know it can be made even if not easy, I will NEV ER understand my dad not making that choice for me.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:28 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Its not a case of whether I BELIEVE its a choice or a disease. It IS a medical disease that causes withdrawls when alcohol is removed from the system when one tries to quit.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• ALL Addiction starts out as choice. You can't contract addiction, it's not something you can catch. But it is an illness. It's something that will only get worse without help, treatment and LOTS of work! My father, Grandfather, husband, BIL & SIL are ALL addict. While my Grandfather was able to live a relatively normal life, the rest had their lives overtaken by the addiction. My father has been homeless and worse because he simply can't help himself and it is sickning and sad. My BIL has bairly a life at all, living in my basement off the grases of his brother (my DH) and my SIL has broken every trust she has ever gained in life and will eventually loose her children. Now, while it's easy to say that they CHOOSE to be this way, my husband has been clean for almost 3 years. It's a daily struggle! Every day he fights the urge to drink or get high, but he is winning the fight through treatment and self determination.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• cont...

Without doubt it's an illness, not a choice at this point. He hasn't had a drink or any other high in almost 3 years. But it's not because he doesn't still want it. There are good days and bad, and so far he is winning the fight, but I know (and so does he) that that can change at any given day. If it were a choice he could simply walk away, but it's not that easy. It's a fight. Medication, Therapy and Personal Growth are the ONLY things keeping him clean. He's taking small steps toward s normal life, but small steps are hard. Choices are easy to walk away from, disease isn't...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• It's both.

It's a disease that requires a few choice triggers to get it started - and it requires choices to get it treated.

Anonymous

• ^^^^amen to that!!
    Anonymous

• Its a disease, I have trouble believing it sometimes I wish it were a choice if it were maybe my dad would be healthy, but after all these years I've accepted that he's sick
    Anonymous

• I KNOW it is a disease, the choice is in seeking a path to recovery. I am proud my father made that choice and was nearly 25 years sober (only two weeks away from his 25th "birthday") when he died. I hope others out there with family members that are struggling with this are able to find the strength to make that choice as well.
    mom2alan

Answer by mom2alan at 10:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• It's a disease, but one that you have to make choices about. You can choose to get treatment or not, but you have to want it because it is hard work to stay sober. My fil was sober for 18 years and a glass of wine to toast at a wedding sent him on 4 years of drinking. He's now been sober again for well over 10 years, but he knows that one little slip could send him crashing back down. He knows that he can never have "just one" because he wouldn't be able to stop. Not because he wouldn't want to, but because the disease wouldn't let him.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2010