is it safe to take birth control pills while breastfeeding

my son is 6 weeks old and I breastfeed, I was wondering if it is safe to take birth control pills, if not what are the most common birth control methods while breast feeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The babies are very effective birth control in this house.... hahahaahah

You'd need to take the mini pill if you do the bc pill. Otherwise your supply with dry up (estrogen is bad news for milk supplies)

You could do do Mirena but my doctor didn't recommend I get it put in til 6 months PP or until I get a menstrual period because there is a much larger chance of the IUD falling out before then.

IF you are exclusively breastfeeding with no supplements (supplements are bad news for your supply too!! Don't do it!!!) every 2-3 hours that is really good protection against pregnancy. If your baby stops nursing so often or you introduce solids you should get on bc of some sort or use condoms..

I personally just have been using condoms because I still don't have a period and we honestly don't have sex much so condoms aren't a big deal lol
    Anonymous

• there are bc pills that arent as "strong" for women that are bf I am taking them still and I ad my baby almost 4 monts ago and Im still bf to this day
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 9:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• you would want to take the progestren only BC pills, not the estrogen based ones.

your other options are copper IUD (not the minera one), condoms, natural family planning,
    Anonymous

• You can take the mini pill
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 9:59 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• You need to talk to your doctor to be sure, but my daughter's doctor just put her on the Birth Control Pill and she is breastfeeding.
    CoCoMom89

Answer by CoCoMom89 at 10:10 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• The thing with the mini pill, though, is that as soon as your baby weans or maybe while he/she is weaning you need to switch to something else because it's not very effective. I also think that you have to take it at exactly the same time everyday. I have the Mirena IUD.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• There is only one type of birthcontrol that is safe during breastfeeding. Talk with your Gyno.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:28 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Yes it is safe, I started on the "Mini-Pill" (progestine only) at the 6 week post partum mark with all my kids and exclusively breastfed them all til they were 1 yr. old. Other options are the Depo Provera shot, Norplant implant, progesterone-releasing IUD (Mirena releases a hormone similar to progestine) or ParaGard (Intrauterine Copper Contraceptive (IUC) which is hormone-free). You can also take low estrogen pills but a lot of moms have experienced a drop in milk supply taking those. I would talk to your Dr. about the best option for you.

Here's a link with some great information: http://kellymom.com/health/meds/birthcontrol.html.
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 11:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• What about a diaphragm? They work without hormones and have no side effects. They never caused a stroke, infertility or PID; you won't gain weight, get depressed, or lose your libido; your periods won't be affected. They have never been the subject of class action lawsuits and are instantly reversible.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:45 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• the mini pill and the paragaurd (what i havee)iud are the only ones i know of that have little to no hormones and are safe and wont make your supply dip or dry up
    MummyOf2ooo

Answer by MummyOf2ooo at 2:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2010