Would you have a 1st birthday party for your baby that died right after birth?

My friend's baby died an hour after it was born b/c of a birth defect. She is still very devastated by the loss, and she had a first birthday party for him complete with cake and everything. Would you do the same? I feel bad for her. She did not treat it like a rememberance party, it was like a real birthday party.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think I would do more of a memorial to remember the child and that it wouldve been a year old
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• no..i would want to carry on being depressed and down about it..i would have to move on and forget about it
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• i meant would'nt..
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I think your friend is grieving the only way she knows how. Now is when she needs your support, not your questioning her grief.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Party? Probably not... memorial... probably so.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• a memorial service with a cake yes...but total birthday party..she may need to talk it out with someone...i could only imagine. i felt horrible for weeks after a 7wk miscarriage!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 9:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• i honestly dont even know if i would be able to handle doing a memorial...i would want one but dont know how often i could bring myself to visit
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• my sister died when she was 2 weeks old from sids. For the first couple of years my parents had a birthday cake with her name on it on her birthday.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 9:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• In an intimate private family affair, I might do something. Cake with candles and party hats? No.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 10:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• no
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2010