My daughter is going to school in Sept... How do I prepare her?

My daughter is 4 1/2 will be 5 in May. This Sept 2010 she will be going into Kindergarden. Is there anything I can do to prepare her for school. She will be going to all day school from 9am to 3pm. She goes to bed around 8pm and gets up about 7am. She knows he ABC's and can count to 25or so, she also knows her colors and shapes. Can tie her shoes and is potty trained.She can write her first name. Someone told me that they need to be able to catch a ball and can read somewhat? Ive been tryin to work on alot more with her to get her prepareed. What else should I do?

shawnalovesdon0

Asked by shawnalovesdon0 at 10:08 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• sounds like she is already ahead of the game. my baby was able to go the daycare and preschool up until she started. she is in K now and here they work on writing their names and using lower case letter, counting to 20, colors, shapes, and number recognition, maybe help her write her number out like 1/one, 2/two etc but she is doing so much already lol! relax u r doing a great job she will not be expected to read upon entering kindergarten but she should be able to recognize some letters!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:14 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• It sounds as though academically she is already ahead. Socially you'll want her to be used to being around other children and to listen and take instruction from another adult. I put my children in Sunday School and in some Y classes to help them.

Answer by Bmat at 10:22 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• It sounds that you've done good. If you want to play catch with her , it could help. Some kids catch and some kids still don't at that age.Mine sometimes did and sometimes didn't it depended on who threw the ball and how it was thrown. but you did good with your daughter other wise.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:54 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Thanks so much for all the great replys. Sometimes I seem as though I havent done enough. I found a great website called www.starfall.com that is great with learning there letters and the sounds of them she does great with the site. She does need to learn to be around other children she gets a little rough with them and doesnt do well when she needs to share. But we can work on it.
    shawnalovesdon0

Answer by shawnalovesdon0 at 9:43 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• What a great website that is. I briefly looked at it and it reminds me of how Sesame Street teaches.

Keep doing what you are doing. Your daughter will be great in kindergarten.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 10:24 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• The basic requirements or expectations for incoming kindergartners varies greatly between school districts. Your best bet is to see if your school district has a web site. If they do, check it out and see if there are specific outlines for what is expected for each grade level and/or incoming students.

I can tell you, for example, that I heard from oodles of folks how kids in K were learning to read and were expected to come into school already knowing letters and letter sounds. Now, both my kids learned to read early and not because we pushed them to based on these statements. That said, the reality is our school district still considers learning to read to be a core component of 1st grade. Kids in K spend at least the first quarter going over letter recognition and then start to dabble with letter sounds. IF the class is ready, they introduce some sight words.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• the only thing my daughter had a problem was being away from me all day, she did all the work and knew what was going on but she cried the WHOLE day for the first month or so. I would recommend that if she isnt already in a away from home setting (not at a family members house) I would put her into something, even if its just a day or two a week. I wish some one would have told me this. Its not something i thought about untill she started school.
    youlookin4me

Answer by youlookin4me at 11:15 PM on Jan. 7, 2010