Do you use momma guilt?

Do use momma guilt? Or shame to discipline kids-----I do---no bashing

blue_glass_mama

Asked by blue_glass_mama at 10:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• well, mine are only 2 & 3, but yes I do use a bit of mommy guilt "you hurt mommy!" *fake tears* when they hit me or something like that.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:19 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I use chocolate. No lie, it's the only way that I can get my son to leave our computer room. Apparently, I bribe my one year old.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 10:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Shame works well. They should be ashamed of some things they do. Same goes for mamma guilt. They shouldn't be hurting momma, and if that's how they learn it, then so be it. I like sweetphoenix's idea of chocolate too. Some for them, some for me. Everyone wins.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• haha! mine would never take naps if it weren't for bribes! ;o)
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Guilt? of course, i give em the old "I'm your mother" emphasis on mother. "How dare you do ... to your mother", if applied early and often, i believe it works wonders. Just be sure to not over use, i believe you can over use that. Save it for the big stuff and be sure to add the old stand by "I'm sooo disappointed", this worked better than the regular guilt.
    mouse1085

Answer by mouse1085 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My mom did with me! lol! We were just talking about it the other day, actually. If I was about to make a scene or was pouty, she'd say to me "Look, everyone watching you!" and that'd embarrass the heck outta me! lol! I bribe my almost 3 year old. Only problem is that she remembers, so I always have to follow through. LOL! Like if I tell her we'll watch Dora The Explorer if she takes her nap, first thing she says when she wakes up is "Watch Dora!" With my 4 year old son, I use guilt, like "You hurt Mommy!" I guess I've just learned what works for each of them. They are so opposite, it's crazy!
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 12:20 AM on Jan. 7, 2010