My 3 month old sounds congested, is not wanting to breastfeed as well as she normall does, and in general just cries like she is in pain at times. She isn't running a fever but she seems like either she has a cold or allergies, could it be an ear infection though?

AlisMomma322

Asked by AlisMomma322 at 4:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried Ibuprofen? Of course talk to your doctor first if your baby has never had it, but I have found it helps if a baby seems in pain. Also my doctor gave me helpful directions for giving benedryl to help prevent ear infections. I don't always think running to the doctor is helpful but if this is your first child or your first experience like this it could be helpful. I have 4 children and if it were my child I would try the ibuprofen first or even a bulb surynge to get the gunk out and go from there.
    camiregirl

Answer by camiregirl at 4:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• try to use a suction bulb with some saline drops to help her breath. She may also be in the early stages of teething which will make her very uncomfortable. Hylands make wonderful teething tablets that are homeopathic and have no side effects and you can find them at Walgreen's or your local drugstore. They really helped my son when he started teething.
    zaksmom8278

Answer by zaksmom8278 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• My son has horrible reflux & it started off with him sounding very congested. It also caused him pain & made him not want to eat sometimes. This all started when he was just about 2 weeks old, though. Like someone else said, it could very well be that he's teething. I think I would just call my pediatrician & talk to them.
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 12:36 AM on Jun. 26, 2008